Why is everyone being so pessimistic?

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:59 am

Radiant AI was overhyped, but it's still head and shoulders better than the AI system they had in MW. Never tried my hand at the Morrowind system myself., but IIRC you had to manually script movements. With RAI? You make a package, set up its conditions and behaviors, arrange it in an actor's package group according to priority, and let 'em go about. No scripting.

Radiant Story sounds like it's kinda the same way: in FO3, the random encounter system was a big long involved scripted affair. This "Radiant Story" sounds like it had a similar coming into being from FO3's random encounter system as RAI had from Morrowind's manually scripted actor behaviors.
Danger Mouse

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:48 pm

Scepticsm isn't the same as pessimism, I'd say most of the critcs are sceptics
Cheryl Rice

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:35 pm

Here's my take on it:

A lot of people (if not EVERYONE) was way hyped for Oblivion. Over hyped. IT was to be the second coming practically. It comes out, and due to a lot of peoples high expectations, they were let down.

A lot of us are just trying to not have that happen again. I'd rather expect the worst, and be proven wrong if it's better than I expected, than expect the "second coming" and be seriously let down again.
Lil Miss

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:37 pm

Because people have different opinions on what Beth should be doing to what they are doing.

There are a lot of ways to look at it. Just remember that the history of TES games says that each one will never follow the predecessor in terms of the game play engine. Also note that the scope of each game has varied and been refined or butchered depending on your perspective.

Oblivion being far worse flawed than MW, as in perhaps not the holes/exploits in the system and number of flaws, just the flaws it did have greatly add tedium and destroyed fun and immersion. Which is unfortunate combined with the expectations and over reaching on the tech OB made before its release. All understandable give the context and the situations etc, but at the end of the day, it didn't work and lots of fans are PO'd.

And they fear it is just same story happening again. I don't think this is going to be another Ob.
Bereket Fekadu

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:39 am

If I got a dime every time someone in these forums gave an example of how Radiant AI was gutted, I'd have a nickel.

They promised a living world in which NPCs would dynamically choose things to do, participating in the economy and giving the world a sense of life. What we got was a few characters that hunted or raked leaves all day while 90% stood around staring at walls and talking about how much they detest local aquatic fauna.
Kate Murrell

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:13 pm

I agree but get ready for the ''we only made hundreds of attribute threads because we care about the game and its constructive criticism '' [censored]. People complain because they are pessemistic and only 0.1% complain because they genuinely think something that actually has a chance of being addressed can be changed with Fan support. I saw a thread earlier where someone complained about the draugh's eyes glowing and the textures were poor :facepalm:

This.

Unfortunately these 'Pessimistic' individuals outnumber us a hundred to one. I don't mind true constructive criticism but all we hear on these forums are whiny moany [censored]ing (that includes you Liu Bei). On the positive side we do get the occasional 'intelligent' and informative thread which is a breath of fresh air. :)

Blackdrak

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:24 am

They promised a living world in which NPCs would dynamically choose things to do, participating in the economy and giving the world a sense of life. What we got was a few characters that hunted or raked leaves all day while 90% stood around staring at walls and talking about how much they detest local aquatic fauna.

Semi-aquatic.
Prohibited

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:32 pm

Why is everyone pessimistic? Because carrots are weightless! The dragon priest lifts his robe at you! The giant ragdolls weirdly after the dragon drops him! No partying with dragons! The sword is both elven AND glass! The male player characters have pelvises that aren't fixed in place when they run! The game is RUINED! :ahhh:

(Did I miss any?)

ha ha I like this one :)

Czar Kahchi

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:32 am

im way over greedy about skyrim it will rule and shake the foundations like allmost every tes has done :)
i allways look at my own way point other/game critics can go to hell.
like dungeon siege 3... i waited it as i loved the previous games... i call it piece of C*** and game critics say its "good"

just wait and see. it is stupid to say what it "will" be and what it "wont" before the game is out.
we can say "this looks/sounds trash" and it actually works.
we have seen this happening every time some company releases game.

99% of ppl who actually here are going to get skyrim. so i wish wed stop saying how "this will be bad" "i hate that they are doing this" as most of us gonna play it hell lot of time anyway. and if something REALLY is off ppl will mod it.

Bethesda learns from their misstakes what i cant really say from most game developers.
Andrew Tarango

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:21 am

I already know Skyrim won't dissapoint!
Leticia Hernandez

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:27 am

When it comes to Skyrim, my glass is more than half full. I only have one thing so far that I'd change and since the game isn't finished, it may happen. Some are voicing suggestions, which Besthesda have said they appreciate. That's not neccessarily negative. Some are lamenting things that have changed but that's what happens in life...things change all the time. They'll have to decide if it's changed so much that Skyrim isn't for them. We don't know everything about the game at all so only time will decide that.

Finally, that's just the nature of message boards. People can use their voice and as long as it's polite, it is what it is. It's usually not hard to avoid a contentious thread. I'm not going to let those ruin my excitement for the game. The answer, as far as I'm concerned, is to not overly indulge the negativity by responding to it over and over again. If we want positivity, we can make positive threads for a place to go. Grab a positive quote from an article and make a thread for discussion. :) Well, I'm off...Maglir defaulted on a contract and I have to fix it.

:tes:
sam westover

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:49 pm

They're lucky they get to see a dragon pick up a person at all.

Yeah, we should just shut the heck up, drop our $60, dutifully pony up for all the dlc, and enjoy the game even if we don't. Shouldn't we? :teehee:

Some of us are more picky than others and we won't just blindly pay Beth only to be disappointed again. There are aspects to previous games that people loved that have been cut out or ruined. Now we are here making our concerns and criticisms known.
Dominic Vaughan

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:23 pm

I agree, the pessimism on this forum and the outright whining threads for absolutely no reason is just getting ridiculous as of late. People complaining how the cities will be too small, yet we've seen 0 cities. LOL. What a joke.

I grew up playing Morrowind, it's probably my favorite game of all time. The complexity, the detail, the exploration, it was just fun. And then here comes Oblivion, with it's streamlined gameplay, quest markers, and fast travel. Completely ruined it for me. I hate that game because of those features. It turns TES into something that I don't see TES as.

I agree with the first part of your post. But the second part... it's not all about you, you know. Just sayin'

1) It's an internet game forum

2) It's an internet game forum with a rather high percentage of "Morrowind was the best game ever and TES has been going downhill ever since" users.

Exactly this.
sara OMAR

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:30 pm

I already know Skyrim won't dissapoint!

Now that is optimistic!

From some of the things that have been nit picked, I think quite a few players are going to be disappoint.
Monika Fiolek

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:22 am

Most of the pessimistic people are pessimistic because of the morrowind-------->oblivion evolution.
Roanne Bardsley

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:58 am

Since i've gotten here all i've seen is people being pessimistic about Skyrim. I don't consider suggestions or speculation to pesssimistic, i'm actually talking about things like "I saw/heard such and such in a demo video and now i'm worried that such and such is going to happen." How come when you see something or hear the devs mention something you automatically expect the worst?

I honestly think Skyrim will be a fine game.

I understand your sentiment. And indeed, I have no doubt that like Daggerfall, Morrowind and Oblivion were before, Skyrim will change the market.
It will change the meaning of the word game, it will be a standard to which others will be held.

But, for long term fans this frontier presence may also imply loyalty. Fans may get annoyed when features present in one game are removed instead of improved upon.

Look, there is no doubt Skyrim will be one hell of a game. But at the same time it should not kick long term fans in the juice box just because the graphics are so much more flash now.
That is what I am worried about. Oblivion dissapointed me in a lot of ways and I am surely not the only one.
It would be nice if people listened.
casey macmillan

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:09 am

I'd rather be wrongly pessimistic than wrongly optimistic.

Have fun not getting excited for things! I hope you enjoy your grey, monotonous life.

Seriously though, anticipation is one of life's great joys.
OnlyDumazzapplyhere

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:30 pm

Have fun not getting excited for things! I hope you enjoy your grey, monotonous life.

Says the man who expected a cake but got a mixed tape instead. "Thats nice of you"

No lol. Anticipation svcks. I hate surprises.
Tanika O'Connell

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:41 am

I sincerely hope you can maintain that joy, but you should be aware that pessimists are not born - they're made. And more often than not, they're made out of optimists who have been kicked in the teeth one time too many.
yessenia hermosillo

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:19 am

We're nerds. We're hypercritical, unforgiving, and narcissistic. There's always one little part of the game that's terrible, and omg why can't the devs see that it's terrible? FFS I could fix this easily and let me explain how-

Cynicism comes with the job.

We're also humans, so everything in the past is automatically better than the present and future.
jess hughes

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:02 am

I'm not pessimistic about the game.

I think Bethesda has a great track record with Morrowind, Oblivion and Fallout 3 (I don't really consider Fallout New Vegas a Bethesda game, since it was not developed by them).

I the pessimism and worries here seem to be either because (1) Skyrim seems different in some ways from Morrowind and/or Oblivion (or Fallout 3, or Mass Effect, or Dragon's Age, etc, etc) and people want that game, and (2) some people seem to have unrealistically high expectations for how completely realistic the game should be, at least in terms of things like physics, AI, etc.

I'm guessing this will be a great game.
Stephanie Kemp

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:23 pm

It was more natural than MW :shrug:
Etta Hargrave

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:38 pm

Which just goes to show you how [censored]-up the priorities of the people who post on the Bioware forums are.

They also have those Tali threads which went up to several thousand pages, and were filled with people using SCIENCE! to prove that her briast milk gets you high and tastes like candy. :ermm:

Sounds awesome. I would totally love to s-

I mean.....TES and dragons and immersion!.......what were we talking about? :whistling:
Steven Hardman

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:25 pm

To be perfectly honest, I am being pessimistic because Oblivion was just a bad game. It was an awful game. It did not hold a candle to Morrowind.

Im sure this is just my opinion though I could cite numerous reasons such as player skill meaning stuff instead of character skill

Oblivion, and I do not care about ratings, Oblivion, was a bad game period.
If it had not been elder scrolls it would be not worthy of a second look
BrEezy Baby

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:07 am

People are not just being pessimistic. They are giving feedback about the features they like and dislike and feedback on their hopes and fears for the game.

Honestly those who just look at the people here giving feedback as being "pessimistic whiners that need to shut up" are the same people who just get rolled over by the higher ups. "Oh I′ll just keep quite and not voice my opinion, even if things could be better or different it′s better to just be quiet and get rolled over rather than voice my opinion and look pessimistic like some sort of a whiner".

To take an example lets look at cereals. Sometime around 2006 there was an effort to increase health in children and two cereal brands decided to decrease the amount of sugar in their cereal. It didn′t take long before people got annoyed at the change and sales went down for the two cereals, people complained both in words and by not buying the product and soon after one of the cereals increased the amount of sugar back to what it was and soon after sales went up. The other company didn′t cater to the feedback of the masses and as it stands most people I know dislike their cereal.

A good company listens to the feedback of consumers and acts accordingly, a bad company doesn′t. And because people "complained" and "whined" they got a better product from at least one of the companies than what they would have been stuck with if they just kept silent and tried to please the company rather than expecting the company to please them.

So please do stop looking at those who give feedback as whiners, if you don′t care about TES then that′s fine, but those that do care about where the series is headed have all the right (and tools thanks to Bethesda) to raise their concerns and opinions.

Not saying people should not be constructive and fair, but these days people on the forums just beat down anyone with an opinion about anything that goes against what Bethesda is doing.

Edit: To clarify I do like where Bethesda is going with Skyrim, I expect Skyrim will be better than Oblivion but I still don′t know if it will top Morrowind. So there you have it, I do look at it as an improvement over the last installment in the series.
Ells

PreviousNext

Return to V - Skyrim