[RELZ/BETA] Wrye Morph

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 7:24 pm

Wrye Bash Version: 193: Wrye Morph Factions

Updated Bash_MFact.csv: This is for Wrye Morph users only. I've updated it to include most factions that should be "acquirable" through a morph. I've tried to stay away from quest related factions, but there's surely still going to be some overlap.
Matt Bee

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 6:05 am

This mod is just too bloody cool. I'm a new poster, but I've been lurking around since the early Morrowind days (I still remember when EuroMorrowind went down...), and I've been hoping someone would make a mod like this forever. I found your warnings about installation difficulty to be gross overestimations, and the mod runs flawlessly (except for the one, uh, "minor" caveat I'm about to bring up). Thank you, Wrye. You, sir, are awesome. *grovels obsequiously at the feet of the Monkey God, lord and master of most stuff*

I have one problem, though, and I'm not sure it's of such a nature that it can really be fixed, and if it even CAN be fixed it's not likely to since it'd probably take too much work, but I might as well ask. I can't get it to work with Origin of the Mages' Guild (now that you've read that, I fully expect the rest of this post to be ignored. Huge mod, I know, and I realize Giskard's probably the better person to ask here, but if I understand his policy on answering questions regarding compatibility issues... well, I figured my chances were better if I asked here. Might try his forum as a last resort). I can scribe a shape, but shifting is the problem; it gets to the point where it creates the quick save and everything, but then it CTD's with that pesky "send error report?" (pfft, no) message when it loads it. I can open the game back up, load the quicksave and keep on playing, and that's what I've been doing, but as much as I like looking at my desktop wallpaper occasionally, it's kind of jarring and breaks that "immersion" feel (I can hear the laughter now...). Yes, it's an annoyance at most, but I really hate being annoyed... It's always the little things, isn't it? :P

Anyway, I narrowed it down to Origin by going through all the motions. Standard process-of-elimination, deactivate and reactivate procedure (ugh), rebuilding my bashed patch every single time just to be safe (Yes, Faction Morph and MFact.csv are activated. Speaking of which, modifying the MFact.csv's Mages Guild entry to recognize Origin instead of Oblivion didn't help), and without Origin, everything works perfectly fine. Knowing what the conflict came from, I tried deactivating everything but Cobl, OMG, Morph, and my newly-rebuilt Bashed Patch and it still wouldn't work, so the problem definitely comes solely from Origin. I then tried messing with my load order. Tried Wrye Morph last, Origin last, nothing worked there, even with no other mods active (except of course Cobl and Bashed Patch). OBMM's conflict detector reveals... diddly. Also, Breeze's Succubus mod works fine with OMG, so... :shrug:

I realize OMG is huge, but otherwise, I've got a 150-mod load order (which includes Kvatch Aftermath, also by Giskard, and it's bigger than OMG. Apparently, anyway. I never did get around to playing it...) that Morph works beautifully with. If it weren't for that I'd just assume OMG was so big that it futzed with the game's quicksaves, which are volatile enough anyway. Obviously, you can't change someone else's mod, and I don't particularly expect you to even look over it because it's fething gigantinormous. I've looked at both mods, but even though I've "been around the block" around here, I never really bothered with scripting much since most of the time I don't have problems like this (Bash is usually a lifesaver)... Still, in typical Quixote fashion I've obsessively (and fruitlessly) tried every (bad) idea I could come up with. This problem's become something of a White Whale for me lately... At this point, I'd be enormously pleased with a vague answer as to what MIGHT be the problem, but yes, I realize that even this request is quite possibly completely unreasonable. Still, if anyone, especially the Great Wrye, has any ideas, I would... err, express gratefulness over the internet... :P

EDIT: Sorry for the longwinded post. Heh...
Nick Swan

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 1:37 pm

1) With OMG loaded, try quicksaving and then quickloading. If it crashes, then that's the problem -- somehow OMG is not quicksave/quickload friendly. If that's the case, then the problem probably lies with one or more of OMGs scripts, which are doing somewhat complicated things during a quicksave.

2) Otherwise, if your current character is in the mages guild, and you shift shapes to a new character, that character is almost certainly not in the mages guild. It could be that one of the OMG scripts is not reacting well to your character suddenly not being in the mages guild anymore (not expelled, but rather not in it at all). If that's the case, you might be able to find the problematic script and fix it through esp mastering. Would not be easy though.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that you were able to install Wrye Morph and that it's otherwise working for you. And yeah the warning signs are a bit large. I think that if someone is already using Wrye Bash and OBSE, then it won't be a problem. But for folks who are starting from scratch and aren't technically competent, then then it's likely to be a challenge.

BTW, I'll note that there's a minor annoyance in that arrows are not being properly re-equipped after a shape shift. I'll fix that soon.
gary lee

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 4:16 pm

Thanks for the reply, Wrye. :)

1) That was pretty much the first thing I'd thought of, and OMG doesn't crash on a basic quicksave/quickload.

2) My character is indeed in the Mages Guild, but I've tried doppelganging Raminus Polus and a few other Mages Guild characters and it still crashed... BUT, I figured you were on to something and wondered if maybe the problem wasn't leaving the faction, but rather changing rank. So I found another Evoker and tried doppelganging them... and it crashed. :shrug:

You must be right about it being in OMG's scripts somewhere. To elaborate on the problem, the game CTD's when the load bar's about 1/10th of the way filled up. Don't know if that means anything, but... I suppose I'll keep digging around.
Stacyia

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 10:22 am

WIPZ New Version: Just a bit of news... I've been working on Wrye Morph again for last several days and should have an update out soon. (Maybe today.)

Book of Souls: The current two spells will be removed, and instead you'll receive a Book of Souls inventory item. You can open this from inventory or hotkey it if you want. Menu will be about the same as before, except that now if some npc is in your crosshairs, there will be an extra command to scribe him into the book. I've tweaked the UI in a couple of other places to reflect the "book of souls" idea.

Quest: There will now be a minor quest to acquire the Book of Souls. To complete the quest, your character will need to be able to enter a moderately dangerous (depending on what else you have installed) cave system. By default, you'll have to do this even if you were playing with the previous version of Wrye Morph. However, if you prefer, you'll be able to bypass the quest by using the console. I've got the scripting part of the quest working -- mainly just need to finish up the window dressing (books, etc. maybe a new location).

Misc Tweaks
* Ammo now morphs correctly along with inventory and equipment.
* Faction morphing can now better respond to updated Bash_MFact.csv files.
* Misc. UI tweaks.
Richard Dixon

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 9:33 am

Whee! Saw that book in the CS... I was wondering if you were gonna do something with it. Sounds neat.

"* Faction morphing can now better respond to updated Bash_MFact.csv files."

*crosses fingers, waits patiently for REL*
Janeth Valenzuela Castelo

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 6:03 am

Installing right now.
Looks absolutely AMAZING might I add.

EDIT-
I installed everything correctly (I'm almost sure of it)
and followed the setup instructions.
I load Bashmon and OBSE and yet the spells are not added to my character when I load my save.
Adrian Powers

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 4:29 am

You're out of the training dungeon, right?

I'm getting closer to next release. Probably late tomorrow. (Quest stuff takes a while to setup and test.)
kitten maciver

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 9:06 am

Mhmm.
I also tried going to the CS and adding the two spells to Edgar Vautrine so I could simply buy them,
and they didn't show up in his list in-game.
BlackaneseB

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 4:31 am

Just tried the latest version on a new save (on my new laptop, your Wyre Bash auto loader is a life saver), it crashed when I first tried to transform but it worked perfectly after I loaded the save up again! ^_^

The only problem I've seen is the wyre morph see you sleep thing doesn't seem to be working, cause my new shapes don't have the see you sleep bag thing, unless I choose not to morph my inventories, but then my new shape uses the same sleep setup as my regular character... -_-
Sophh

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 10:42 am

I also tried going to the CS and adding the two spells to Edgar Vautrine so I could simply buy them,
and they didn't show up in his list in-game.

Just wait for next release. Should be within a day or two. Probably.

Just tried the latest version on a new save (on my new laptop, your Wyre Bash auto loader is a life saver), it crashed when I first tried to transform but it worked perfectly after I loaded the save up again! ^_^

The only problem I've seen is the wyre morph see you sleep thing doesn't seem to be working, cause my new shapes don't have the see you sleep bag thing, unless I choose not to morph my inventories, but then my new shape uses the same sleep setup as my regular character... -_-

The sleep bag needs to be made into a quest item. Thought that I did that already (certainly it's a quest item in my current game). But I'll double check.
MatthewJontully

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 6:50 pm

Update: Wrye Morph 27: Book of Souls, Quest, Etc.

Book of Souls: The current two spells have been removed Instead you'll receive a Book of Souls inventory item. You can open this from inventory or hotkey it if you want. Menu will be about the same as before, except that now if some npc is in your crosshairs, there will be an extra command to scribe him into the book. I've tweaked the UI in a couple of other places to reflect the "book of souls" idea.

Quest:
Fatback Cave, south of the Arcane University and now overrun by goblins was once home to a necromancer. Recently, two students from the Arcane University entered it, both in search of something different. Things did not turn out well. But you can pick up where they left off.

Be warned that you'll have to read carefully and do a bit of thinking to solve this quest and receive the Book of Souls. Essentially, you need to figure out what you need and then go get it. Be warned that essential quest items are ~~not~~ protected by quest item status. So don't lose them.

Notes:
* Be sure to activate Bashmon before starting this quest! You'll ruin some immersion if you don't turn it on ahead of time. So if you see a "Bashmon is not running" message when you startup, quit out of the game, startup bashmon and then restart the game.
* Also, definitely be sure to have **built the Bashed Patch with morph factions turned on.** If you haven't done this, you may find it difficult to reach a place that you have to reach.
* The quest is fully functional, but still needs a bit of polish. Maybe stretch it out a little, fix the text up, add some incidental dialog. Maybe later. :D
* Fatback cave is moderately difficult. You don't have to delve all the way to the bottom, but it's a challenge. If you really want to jump immediately to the morphing, then there's a cheat trick in the readme.
* Umm... Mature language. You'll be reading stuff by guys who are not nice folks.

Misc Tweaks
* Ammo now morphs correctly along with inventory and equipment.
* Faction morphing can now better respond to updated Bash_MFact.csv files.
* Tweaked see you sleep stuff. You see you sleep config bag should now stay with you permanently. (Now called "+Sleepwear".)x
* Misc. UI tweaks.

Testing:
I'm rushing out the door a little bit here. I've tested stuff several times, but tests are followed by bug fixes, which may themselves introduce bugs. I think that it's all working (cross your fingers).

I also been having some instability with my system recently -- I'm not frequently getting a complete hang on exit (when the screen goes yellow -- it just stops there) -- pretty annnoying, because I can't even alt-tab out of it. Grrr... Unfortunately, I don't know the source. Might be that I've pushed my system too far, might be my saves are hosed somehow. Might be one of the mods I've installed recently. Or it might be something sporadically flakey with Wrye Morph. Anyway, let me know if you have similar problems.
Phillip Hamilton

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 5:44 am

Update: Wrye Morph 27: Book of Souls, Quest, Etc.

Is this compatible with the previous versions? cause I've got a couple of shapes I'd rather not loose.

Hmm... I could just create a save of using those two shapes and import them with Wyre bash later...
Angela

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 4:31 pm

Is this compatible with the previous versions? cause I've got a couple of shapes I'd rather not loose.

Hmm... I could just create a save of using those two shapes and import them with Wyre bash later...

Yes, it's compatible. Full access to your current shapes will be restroed once you've completed the quest. Advice: Before installing, make sure that you're not in some low-level shape. But even if you have already installed, you can use the console trick in the readme to temporarily make the book available, morph to a preferred shape and then use the console trick again (this time setting the variable to zero). You'll then be able to undertake the quest.
Valerie Marie

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 1:30 pm

Dang, all my shapes are lv 1 or 2 because of starting a new game on my laptop!

I needed a more stable load order anyway, which your Full Balo has helped me do! ^^

I'll level up one of my shapes more before trying the latest version then!
Katey Meyer

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 2:01 pm

(speechless) :bowdown:
Hazel Sian ogden

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 3:20 pm

Re leveling: Keep in mind that the level of character you're able to copy (as well as the level at which you copy) NPCs is dependent on your maximum non-doppelganged character level. So, when you're leveling up, be sure to level up either your original character, or else a character created with "New Soul". (Actually, I probably ought to relax this requirement -- doesn't make that much difference and kind of complicated to keep in mind.)

If you want to level a character fairly rapidly, you can use Wrye Leveling, and cheat by setting "days to wait" to zero and cost per level to zero.
Laura Hicks

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 12:44 pm

Once you shift into another form, how do you change back?
Because the spells gets removed when I change.
Anna S

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 8:43 am

Once you shift into another form, how do you change back?
Because the spells gets removed when I change.

That's doesn't make sense to me. If you're a previous user of Wrye Morph, you'll lose the old spells as soon as you start up (as described here and in the readme). So, I don't see how you could initiate a shape shift using spells updating -- you don't have them anymore.
u gone see

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 3:03 am

With Wrye Bash installed, my game crashed anytime I entered Fatback Cave (I don't think its Wrye Bash SPECIFICALLY. My computer seems to GREATLY dislike it when I attempt to play Oblivion..)
So instead I added the Book of Shadows into the game and used the spells it gave me.
Wrong book?
I tried adding the misc. item "+Book of Souls", as I know the Book of Souls is the one I need, but when I try to pick it up in the game, it automatically removes it from my inventory.

And damn you're a fast replier.
Liv Brown

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 11:23 am

Yep. Wrong book. And the quest script manages your possession of the correct book. So just use the console command listed at the bottom of the readme.

Re Fatback.
Spoiler
The quest trigger is in the second cave, so if your crash occurred in the first cave, it wasn't Wrye Morph.

Fast Replier: I just happend to be on. Don't count on it. :D
Alex Vincent

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 6:40 pm

Yep. Wrong book. And the quest script manages your possession of the correct book. So just use the console command listed at the bottom of the readme.

Re Fatback.
Spoiler
The quest trigger is in the second cave, so if your crash occurred in the first cave, it wasn't Wrye Morph.

Fast Replier: I just happend to be on. Don't count on it. :D

It must not have been Wrye Morph then, because I can still get myself in the other parts of the cave through console commands.
And theres a console command?
That figures.
I need to learn to read those things more closely. I usually just skim them a bit >.<
But thanks.
I'll just try the quest out now, it sounded really cool.

Oh, and I have FCOM installed, so I'm not sure how well the quest will work.
The second part of Fatback Cave is INFESTED with armies of Goblins.
(Talk about an enormous performance hit)
Melung Chan

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 3:36 pm

New Version: Wrye Morph 6-28
• Various tweaks to improve quest and morph behavior.
• Morph equipment now handles torches.
• Fixed death recognition in general and for quest.
• Misc. quest tweaks.
• Upgrade warning regarding spells.

These are misc. minor technical tweaks. It's safe to upgrade to this version.
Tyrone Haywood

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 7:17 am

New Version: Wrye Morph 6-28
? Various tweaks to improve quest and morph behavior.
? Morph equipment now handles torches.
? Fixed death recognition in general and for quest.
? Misc. quest tweaks.
? Upgrade warning regarding spells.

These are misc. minor technical tweaks. It's safe to upgrade to this version.

You just never stop do you?
Well done, as usual :clap:
Amy Cooper

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 8:57 am

I tend to be bursty. These changes are based on my actual play experience last night. Mainly polishing some rough corners.

Main quest still really ought to have some dialog and be stretched out a little bit. But it works fine as is.
Invasion's

PreviousNext

Return to IV - Oblivion