Capes and Multiplayer

Post » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:03 pm

When Oblivion was released numerous amounts of people complained that it was giving up a portion of the ES identity to appeal more to mainstream audiences. How is this any different? Would it be fun? Sure. Would i like to be able to fight my character against a friends? Sure. But that is not the Elder Scrolls. The franchise has achieved this status by using their now tried and true format of a one player fantasy RPG format. People keep commenting on how much they love the storyline and that is a major aspect of the whole series. Keep this in mind, how are you supposed to immerse yourself into the storyline of a role playing game when you have a friend playing right beside you? Its going to be much harder and detract from the overall experience of the game.
Lilit Ager

Post » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:54 pm

Your right in some cases. But the market is on casual and muliplayer gamers.

I guess it boils down to what I've been saying.

Would you rather have what you want and have Elder Scrolls games never give experiences to different generations/gamers or would you have the Elder Scrolls game take a chance and end up back where it is now if it was un-successful or advance for the better?

They have to start with some game, I say why not this one. That's my argument.

perhaps. but it could be wiser to do it as a seperate game that focuses on multiplayer rather than risk a poorer quality sequal in addition to potentially alienating their regualr audience.
the 'arena' idea is probably the best compremise
N Only WhiTe girl

Post » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:09 am

When Oblivion was released numerous amounts of people complained that it was giving up a portion of the ES identity to appeal more to mainstream audiences. How is this any different? Would it be fun? Sure. Would i like to be able to fight my character against a friends? Sure. But that is not the Elder Scrolls. The franchise has achieved this status by using their now tried and true format of a one player fantasy RPG format. People keep commenting on how much they love the storyline and that is a major aspect of the whole series. Keep this in mind, how are you supposed to immerse yourself into the storyline of a role playing game when you have a friend playing right beside you? Its going to be much harder and detract from the overall experience of the game.

You see the thing here is, people are different. Like different things, dress a different way, eat different food. People like to have the OPTION of multiplayer, but only if it DOES NOT take away from the experience on SINGLEPLAYER.

I am guessing you dont have many friends who enjoy the game like you do. You see because I am different I do and I can easily immerse myself just as he can (my friend). Not really a problem.
April

Post » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:15 pm

I do want capes very bad! but Multiplayer no. I think The Elder Scrolls is fine like this. Maybe in the next Elder Scrolls a small multiplayer mode... Just to see if it works but not now.
Horse gal smithe

Post » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:52 am

They have to start with some game, I say why not this one. That's my argument.

I see what you're saying, but the reason they shouldn't start now is because this is the next big game in the franchise. A game that will drive the story, lore, etc. forward. If they screw this up, it could have a lasting impact on the franchise.

I say, if Bethesda has to add multiplayer to a TES game (and they don't, but that's a different argument), I say at least wait and try it in a spin-off, along the lines of what Ubisoft did with Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. That way less people will get mad that the next big TES game has been ruined with multiplayer, and Bethesda will have a chance to experiment with it, and see how people like it before putting it in a big game like SR.
Nathan Hunter

Post » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:26 pm

You should be able to step on your opponents cape to trip him :P
Andrea Pratt

Post » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:00 am

They should make like a split-screen thing. But the players can go wherever they wish. I always thought about how amazing oblivion would be if I could play split-screen with a friend.
Peter lopez

Post » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:39 pm

This argument reminds me of the Fast Travel one. Just because you have the option to play with other people doesn't mean you have too. You could have a single player experience, but I can't play with my friend because you guys don't like it?

Personally I can't think of any other enjoyable experience other than questing with a friend in Tamriel. Many people get the companion mods, and would a human companion be better than an AI controlled one?

I only like capes if they are properly animated and have physics attached to them. The capes added by mods in oblivion look cool, but at the same time they look so stiff and not very interesting or cool.
R.I.p MOmmy

Post » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:24 am

Just to get this out of the way. No, to multiplayer. Atleast to online versus multiplayer, co-op could work but I'd rather they put all of their focus and numbers into the story.
As for the capes... YES. I would love hooded cloaks and robes (then I can make a Ezio character!!!!!) but they would need to have realistic physics, I dont want a cape that is stuck to my player the whole time, I want it to flow freely.
Sasha Brown

Post » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:21 pm

Keep multiplayer out!
Rinceoir

Post » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:34 pm

No to multiplayer please. Use the time and resources on something else. That being said, if they've taken all that into account and added additional time and resources, I would have no objection to a co-op option. Not saying I'd use it, but I'd think about it.

Yes to capes, please.
Lily

Post » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:45 am

multiplayer and dragons? go play wow cataclysm.
DarkGypsy

Post » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:40 pm

They did well enough yeah. And lets say you love that news and love that franchise. Would you not like another game? Sure you would. Now lets add to the lore a little here, epic story about becoming a hero there, some new areas here and a few items there.

Hey we got a fantasy role playing game!

Wait I got this crazy idea. I bet we can make millions off of it. Lets be the first AAA developer to make the game we know people love, but add online capabilities.

I mean that's the next logical step right? If not that then either motion tech or 3d and I'm not even going to think about that in my Elder Scrolls game just yet.

By your logic, seems so. By my logic...no. I have been happy with this series for 10 years now and don't seem me changing that. The company has made enough money doing what they do to continue and they listen to their fans. As you can see, the fans mostly disagree with you.

This has been brought up again and again. Just because MMO and co-ops are big atm does not mean those who prefer to play alone should be shafted by every single game company out there.

But when I do want to play a MMO, I don't have much trouble finding one I enjoy. This one, I like more of the same. Logical?
Adrian Powers

Post » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:41 pm

I'd love to see capes. Hopefully they give them decent physics. Most games nowadays seem to pull this off now, but a few still think it's funny to make stiff, rounded boards and call them capes or cloaks.

As for multiplayer, I don't need it, but it would be cool. I'd love to play co-op with my brother, and I don't really know why so many people seem to be against something like that.
*Chloe*

Post » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:12 pm

the technical limitations of doing online multi-player, or split screen are being completely ignored here.... how many of your computers are capable of running multiple copies of a single current gen game like AC2 or something like Crysis... none so there goes the ability to host multiple players on a peer to peer basis, a server based system would be a massive undertaking for Bethesda they would need to ramp up data centers all over the country in accordance with gaming demographics, consuls cant handle split screen where the players arnt tethered together and a peer to peer system on PC is equally hard with mods and such server based models rule out any mods in multi player. In a multiplayer environment everyone has to be playing with the same deck of cards game wise, if it where to be widely implemented say good by to your mods
chinadoll

Post » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:58 am

By your logic, seems so. By my logic...no. I have been happy with this series for 10 years now and don't seem me changing that. The company has made enough money doing what they do to continue and they listen to their fans. As you can see, the fans mostly disagree with you.

This has been brought up again and again. Just because MMO and co-ops are big atm does not mean those who prefer to play alone should be shafted by every single game company out there.

But when I do want to play a MMO, I don't have much trouble finding one I enjoy. This one, I like more of the same. Logical?

Very logical, but what is illogical is to think the "the fans" mostly disagree with me. You are talking about one specific group of individuals on this forum.

You are not talking into account the numerous groups of potential buyers Bethesda has the chance to introduce to the series such as the casual players, new players used to a multiplayer experience, players from different RPG's. The list goes on.

I love Fantasy. I love immersion in my games. I love the Medieval setting as a whole. But as time went by and I was experiencing new and better things I thought why cant they take this and put it into that and so on and so forth.

It looks like to me, that as far as multiplayer goes those who want to experience the Elder Scrolls and immerse themselves into a fantasy setting want to do it alone and those who do not can go F themselves and I don't think that it very fair when the technology is there, has been for 10+ years and CAN be incorporated properly.
Cesar Gomez

Post » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:00 pm

i guess as an engineering student in computer science i tend to think of the technical side but im telling you the technology is there but it is by no means as simple as you guys are making it sound the networking models arn't really optimized for games like this and as fas as providing a decent quality service to all fans regardless of network connection, or PC specs that really really difficult especially with something like TES
Franko AlVarado

Post » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:24 pm

i guess as an engineering student in computer science i tend to think of the technical side but im telling you the technology is there but it is by no means as simple as you guys are making it sound the networking models arn't really optimized for games like this and as fas as providing a decent quality service to all fans regardless of network connection, or PC specs that really really difficult especially with something like TES

I by no means am saying its simple. I'm saying when are they going to at least "try"? And why not now?
Laura Richards

Post » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:34 pm

"M'aiq prefers to adventure alone. Others just get in the way. And they talk, talk, talk."
Ronald

Post » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:33 am

I by no means am saying its simple. I'm saying when are they going to at least "try"? And why not now?

They have an entire studio devoted to such things. This section is not. :)

Maybe we can play together after Zenimax Online Studios reveal their endeavors.
Roisan Sweeney

Post » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:04 pm

"M'aiq prefers to adventure alone. Others just get in the way. And they talk, talk, talk."

M'aiq wishes he had a stick made out of fishies to give to you. Sadly, he does not.
Emilie Joseph

Post » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:31 pm

TES devs said they wouldn't do multiplayer because it detracts from the single player experience. It would mean they would have to pull people off the single player to build the multi player world. Plus, TES is too much of a sandbox for multiplayer.
Alina loves Alexandra

Post » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:00 pm

TES devs said they wouldn't do multiplayer because it detracts from the single player experience. It would mean they would have to pull people off the single player to build the multi player world. Plus, TES is too much of a sandbox for multiplayer.

Just a coop or something.
Eduardo Rosas

Post » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:12 pm

noooOOO! SP only.
Jamie Lee

Post » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:11 am

I see some people defending the Multi idea, but there is one thing we need to keep in mind: no matter how implemanted, it WILL hurt singleplayer. In bigger detail: Bethesda, as the company, has limited resources and time to put into making the game (not to mention disc space), so every single code used for multiplayer purposes will take something away from singleplayer. In the end, we might get a good single with bad multi, bad single with good multi or ok single with ok multi, INSTEAD of just superb single, and this portion of the game is what TES series are all about. I wouldnt mind if they throwed in some co-op option as an expansion some time after the games release, but right now I want them to just put everything they got into singkeplayer. I also hate to see this game becoming more ,,apealing'' to the masses, this only downgrades the game as whole, I actually want them to make it deeper, more suited for hardcoe TES and RPG fans alike instead of casual crowd. I know they wouldnt make creazy money then, but I want to play a GOOD game, not an overglorified one (like MW2.......).
Peetay

PreviousNext

Return to V - Skyrim