[REL] Cloaks of Skyrim

Post » Sun May 27, 2012 10:14 pm

:: Cloaks of Skyrim ::

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=12092 at Skyrim Nexus

:: Description ::

Adds cloaks to the world of Skyrim, via crafting and levelled-lists. They are lore-friendly and enchantable, and more are being added with every update. The aim of this mod is to provide some variety and flavour to the world, as well as the chance to wear a stylish cloak and quite literally keep the cold out (the cloaks provide defence against the cold in both the http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=11163 and http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=6745 mods). You will see NPCs around Skyrim wearing various cloaks, and there are unique and rare variations to stumble across in your travels. The cloaks use slot 46, so can be worn without replacing any other equipment.

Please feel free to add more screenshots, as I do love seeing them.

:: Updates ::

version 0.9
-more cloaks! Including variants for Imperial, Necromancer and Forsworn factions, along with more Dwemer-flavoured cloaks, and another bunch of unique and rare cloaks to be found around Skyrim
-burlap cloaks (a more detailed, rougher retexture of linen) are craftable at the tanning rack
-minor tweaks and fixes

version 0.8
-10 new cloak styles added. These are unique or rare, and have been hand-placed in the world. See Locations Readme for more information and hints
-3 new Hold guard cloaks added, to complete the collection
-a few minor tweaks and fixes

version 0.7
-fixed Player Only.esp so hopefully no-one will be seen wearing cloaks they shouldn't be! Please let me know if you spot any.
-added Thalmor and Greybeard cloaks (hopefully the first of many unique/rare cloaks to collect from locations around Skyrim)
-two more Holds now have cloaks for their guards
-blue cloaks without the Windhelm/Stormcloak symbol available to be crafted again
-changed naming style to avoid issues with the comma
-tweaked/improved a couple of Hold cloaks

version 0.6
-both cloak styles are now finally available to both genders - a rough hide cloak, and a smoother linen cloak. They are craftable at the tanning rack and have been distributed throughout the levelled lists as before.
-two more Holds now have cloak-wearing guards.
-couple of minor tweaks to levelled lists.

version 0.5
-reuploaded 0.5, this time with the correct esps (d'oh!) - should be no more invisible cloak shenanigans.
-fixed absolute texture paths on meshes. Should prevent occasional issue with textures not showing.
-changed slot used to 46. This still won't conflict with any other equipment, and is now in line with the general consensus on cloaks/capes slots.
-fixed issue with cloaks not showing on some vampires or custom races such as Dremora.
-Tails will now no longer clip through the cloaks.
-some Holds have issued their guards with cloaks. More Holds still to come. (And yes, I'm still working on getting the two cloak types available for both genders!)

version 0.4
-added white cloak
-fixed metal clasp colouring on male cloaks
-inventory/world models should now be working
-all cloaks craftable at tanning rack rather than forge
-alternative .esp files included for Player Character Only or No Imperial versions

:: Location ::

With the addition of new cloaks, I thought it may be an idea to explain how to find the various kinds.

:: BASIC HIDE, LINEN and BURLAP ::

Basic, plain cloaks can be found on NPCs such as Bandits, Necromancers and Vampires, etc. They come in three styles, Linen, Hide, or Burlap, and can be crafted at a Tanning Rack with the relevant materials (leather or linen wraps). This currently includes the following cloak colours:
Cloak - Black
Cloak - Blue
Cloak - Brown
Cloak - Crimson
Cloak - Green
Cloak - Grey
Cloak - White

:: HOLD GUARD CLOAKS ::

Hold Guard cloaks are not craftable, but can be seen worn by guards of the various Holds. In addition, so no guard-killing is necessary, spare Hold cloaks can be found, hand-placed in likely locations. This includes:
Cloak - Dawnstar
Cloak - Hjaalmarch (Morthal)
Cloak - Falkreath
Cloak - Markarth
Cloak - Riften
Cloak - Solitude
Cloak - Stormcloak (Windhelm)
Cloak - Whiterun
Cloak - Winterhold

:: FACTION CLOAKS ::

Various factions have their own cloak variants, which can be found in the world, or looted from NPCs. More factions and miscellaneous cloaks to come, but currently the following are included:
Cloak - Stormcloak
Cloak - Imperial (2 variants)
Cloak - Thalmor (2 variants)
Cloak - Forsworn (2 variants)
Cloak - Necromancer (2 variants)
Cloak - Dwemer (5 variants)

:: UNIQUE / RARE ::

Finally, there are currently many styles of unique/rare cloaks hand-placed in the world, waiting to be discovered. Some are already enchanted, some not, and there are many more to come. Keep an eye out for them when adventuring and exploring! Hints for there locations can be found in the Locations Readme.

:: Installation ::

Using this mod on earlier versions of the game may result in a crash at the main menu. Please take a moment to read the FAQ after installation if you have any questions or queries. Common problems are already answered there.

1. Extract the files to a temporary location.
2. Examine the folder structure and make corrections where necessary.
3. Copy files to Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\data
4. Three .esp files are included. Be sure to activate only ONE of these.
  • Cloaks.esp - Regular version. Cloaks are distributed throughout levelled lists as well as being craftable.
  • Cloaks - No Imperial - Cloaks are craftable and distributed throughout the levelled lists, but not amongst Imperial NPCs. This is so that this mod is compatible with Prometheus' excellent Imperial Capes mods.
  • Cloaks - Player Character Only - The cloaks are not distributed throughout the levelled lists. Instead, they are craftable, and therefore unique to the Player Character.
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=13486 now has a patch available for compatibility between the two mods. Be sure to read the description there.

:: FAQ ::

Q- This mod crashes my game before the main menu! Help?
A- Not 100% sure on this, but I think it is related to your Skyrim version, as this mod uses Update.esm as a master. Try updating your Skyrim to see if you are running the latest version, or double-check to see if Update.esm is activated (though I think it should run automatically)

Q- Why aren't the cloaks showing up in-game or on the tanning rack?
A- The esp possibly hasn't been activated. Double-check your Launcher to make sure the file is ticked. NMM also occasionally has a hiccup when activating a mod, so double-check that too if you use it.

Q- If I install this are ALL the NPCs going to be wearing cloaks?
A- No. I've added the cloaks to the levelled lists in a hopefully (!) immersive way. Not every NPC will be wearing one, some NPC types are more likely to have one than others, etc. You'll see Stormcloaks using blue or browns to match their outfits, not crimson, for example, which will instead be worn by some Imperial NPCs. Necromancers or Forsworn will be seen only using the darker colours, and not running around in a pristine white cloak, for example.

Q- Why do the crafting recipes show up 3 times?
A- All 3 esp files have been activated. Instead, activate only the one of your choice. See Installation section.

Q-Why aren't the crafting recipes showing up on the forge?
A- They are crafted on the tanning rack.

Q- Why has the cloak chopped off my Khajiit/Argonian's tail?
A- Beast-race tails are removed, as people complained about them poking through oddly. Think of them as being hidden under the cloaks, rather than poking through the middle of 'em in a bizarre way. Very simple task anyone can do in the CK to get them back if you are desperate. Just ask if you want the instructions.

Q- Some of the cloaks have an Enchanted icon in the inventory, but show no magic effects. What's going on?
A- Any cloaks with a flavour description will falsely show an enchanted icon in the inventory. They are still fully enchantable, however. Some of the unique cloaks already have an enchantment, some do not. Any with an enchantment will show it in the Magic Effects menu.

Q- Why are the linen cloaks so shiny?
A- They shouldn't be. If you have used a texture optimizer mod, it'll edit the linen cloak textures and turn them from dark to super-shiny and plastic-looking. The creator of Texture Optimizer kindly posted a fix:

QUOTEHi
Develop the utility Texture Optimizer but when I use it in Cloaks of Skyrim by Noodles causes the following effect with used Fix Alpha Channel.
I do not know if I consider a defect or a fix.

Effect caused by Fix Alpha Channel : Fix: Alpha Channel => DXT1c = sagecloak_n.dds (5461Kb => 682Kb)

Maybe not the effect you want (I found it strange looks smooth leather) but for those who want to fix this replace the file sagecloak_n.dds by an invisible texture or disable the option Fix Alpha Channel

:: Credits ::

Thanks and huge credit to Backsteppo and Zenl for creating the excellent cloak/cape meshes used here and allowing me add them to the levelled lists in a separate mod.
Thanks to Bethesda for creating Skyrim.
Thanks to Hemingwey for recent permissions to use and play around with his excellent textures.

Feedback and discussions welcomed. Thanks for reading!
George PUluse

Post » Mon May 28, 2012 2:27 am

They will work with frostfall.... <3
Captian Caveman

Post » Sun May 27, 2012 3:55 pm

Been using this or a little while now, it's great!

I like how your feet push the cloak up when running and walking :)

Any chance of having some non ragged male cloaks? Or are they the rare ones?
Kate Schofield

Post » Sun May 27, 2012 8:59 pm

ah yes, this I have wanted!
Fam Mughal

Post » Mon May 28, 2012 3:02 am

Any chance of having some non ragged male cloaks? Or are they the rare ones?

Yep, the non-ragged ones are in the works. Hoping to have the alternative versions out soon, but running into difficulties with some of the editing I'm doing. Slowly but surely getting the smooth linen-style cloaks looking good on male shoulders, but having issues with the textures turning black in any light sources. Odd, as the textures themselves have worked fine on many other meshes. Confuzzled! I still have much to learn. :smile:
Darlene Delk

Post » Mon May 28, 2012 4:53 am

Yep, the non-ragged ones are in the works. Hoping to have the alternative versions out soon, but running into difficulties with some of the editing I'm doing. Slowly but surely getting the smooth linen-style cloaks looking good on male shoulders, but having issues with the textures turning black in any light sources. Odd, as the textures themselves have worked fine on many other meshes. Confuzzled! I still have much to learn. :smile:

Hope you figure it out :) I like the ragged ones though, just nice to have different styles.

Have you thought about adding torn "evil" ones?
Queen Bitch

Post » Mon May 28, 2012 6:40 am

Havent had a chance to try it yet, been busy, but are there hooded cloaks?
Cesar Gomez

Post » Mon May 28, 2012 6:27 am

I've been using this for a while and I must say I love it. It is very immersive. I was jus wondering, did you do any change in the mesh as of late? The version I have tends to clip quite haevily with novice through to adept robes on females. The clipping is most obvious on the shoulders. Would be cool if that could be fixed. I'm looking forward to trying the new version.
Valerie Marie

Post » Sun May 27, 2012 9:43 pm

would be cool if you could include cloakes and capes from other mods too..for example the imperial stuff from prometheus...would makes things easier ....

keep up the good work
dav

Post » Sun May 27, 2012 9:23 pm

Havent had a chance to try it yet, been busy, but are there hooded cloaks?

Nope, no hooded cloaks as yet. I think nivea will soon be releasing a cloak mod with a variety of hooded cloaks though, keep an eye out for it.

would be cool if you could include cloakes and capes from other mods too..for example the imperial stuff from prometheus..

That's in the works. Hoping to get permissions to include the Imperial capes in Cloaking up the community!

A mini-update is due soon to tweak the equip slot, to keep it in line with the community consensus on body slots, and make it compatible with nivea's Winter is Coming. There may be the occasional guard wearing a cloak too :smile: but, for now, the meshes/alternative versions are still being worked on.
Greg Cavaliere

Post » Sun May 27, 2012 11:14 pm

Awesome. Will DL asap.
gandalf

Post » Sun May 27, 2012 8:36 pm

Mini-update! Version 0.5
-fixed absolute texture paths on meshes. Should prevent occasional issue with textures not showing.
-changed slot used to 46. This still won't conflict with any other equipment, and is now in line with the general consensus on cloaks/capes slots.
-fixed issue with cloaks not showing on some vampires or custom races such as Dremora.
-tails will now no longer clip through the cloaks.
-some Holds have issued their guards with cloaks. More Holds still to come.
Catherine N

Post » Mon May 28, 2012 12:48 am

good new update. thanks!
Astargoth Rockin' Design

Post » Sun May 27, 2012 6:57 pm

Been using this mod for a while and just wanted to pop in and tell you that your work appreciated. Finally npcs are starting to dress like its cold in skyrim!
Lovingly

Post » Sun May 27, 2012 6:48 pm

I am VERY curious to see some Thalmor cloaks and how do they fir the elven armor :D
Andrew Tarango

Post » Mon May 28, 2012 1:28 am

Mini-update! Version 0.5
-tails will now no longer clip through the cloaks.
-some Holds have issued their guards with cloaks. More Holds still to come.

That is perfect, thank you very much for this mod. Just one question, if I may. Where is http://imageshack.us/f/694/1209211330883115.jpg/ armour from? It looks great.
Nicole Coucopoulos

Post » Sun May 27, 2012 9:43 pm

That is perfect, thank you very much for this mod. Just one question, if I may. Where is http://imageshack.us/f/694/1209211330883115.jpg/ armour from? It looks great.

Thanks! The armour is a tweak of the Saviour's Hide: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=1620. And just with fur bracers, boots and a http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=3201.
Rachel Cafferty

Post » Sun May 27, 2012 9:17 pm

Just wanted to let you know that you uploaded the newest version to the Nexus at 1143 this morning and it is still unavailable to download. I get an error from the Nexus saying that if it was uploaded within an hour it won't be available for download but it is now nearly 1700 so it's been WELL over an hour and people still can not download it. I'm disappoint cause I wanted a cloak. :(
marie breen

Post » Sun May 27, 2012 5:27 pm

I've only just uploaded it within the last hour. Not quite sure where that 11:43 time is coming from. Should be available soon. :smile:
Nicole Mark

Post » Sun May 27, 2012 3:42 pm

Thanks! The armour is a tweak of the Saviour's Hide: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=1620. And just with fur bracers, boots and a http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=3201.
Thanks for the fast reply. That combination sure lookd gorgeous.
Jennie Skeletons

Post » Mon May 28, 2012 12:10 am

I've only just uploaded it within the last hour. Not quite sure where that 11:43 time is coming from. Should be available soon. :smile:

Oh, ok. Thanks for th's reply. That makes sense then. I'm not sure either. Maybe it shows their time zone and not everyone else's.
sara OMAR

Post » Sun May 27, 2012 3:19 pm

Hi, I have just noticed http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=13486on Nexus. Do you think you could implement it in yours? Pretty please :-). Some of thsoe meshes are very nice and would compement your mod nicely in my opinion
Ashley Tamen

Post » Mon May 28, 2012 12:51 am

Hi, I have just noticed http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=13486on Nexus. Do you think you could implement it in yours? Pretty please :-). Some of thsoe meshes are very nice and would compement your mod nicely in my opinion

Hey, Winter is Coming is gorgeous isn't it? Nivea and I are already working together to get the two mods playing nicely with each other. As it stands so far, we've organised the Cloaks to both use the same slot, to prevent any ugly two-cloaks-equipped moments, so they are already mostly compatible.
Terry

Post » Mon May 28, 2012 5:01 am

Hey, Winter is Coming is gorgeous isn't it? Nivea and I are already working together to get the two mods playing nicely with each other. As it stands so far, we've organised the Cloaks to both use the same slot, to prevent any ugly two-cloaks-equipped moments, so they are already mostly compatible.
Great to hear that! I suppose that both mods modify the same leveled lists, though, so a Wry Bash is propably needed to actually see both types of cloaks, right?
Isaiah Burdeau

Post » Mon May 28, 2012 4:07 am

Hey, yep exactly, meant to say that Wrye Bash is essential for them to be 'already mosty compatible', otherwise the lists won't be merged.
Jaki Birch

Next

Return to V - Skyrim