Cumulative Speculation related to TES V #14

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:18 am

No.

I agree. Not really wise to just put in a date in novel like that, as the deadline can change anytime.
Justin Bywater

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:46 am

I agree. Not really wise to just put in a date in novel like that, as the deadline can change anytime.

Of course, if they just said "A prequel to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim," it wouldn't be bad. It might generate more interest in the game from people who liked the book but never played a ES game. But yeah, including a date would be bad.
Lucky Boy

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:11 am

gamesas won't say a peep about TES5 until they are far enough into the production so they can show screenshots and various features of the game. Showing an unfinished world with unfinished monsters and unfinished weapons and broken quests isn't really impressive.

My entire thought process revolves around this and the name trademark thing. I know that they tend not to show games until they have something kick-ass to show, sop depending on how far into development they are, basically. However, they have a limited time before they lose the trademark if they don't publicly show use (or something like that). Which is why I think E3 will be the announcement, since with Oblivion and Fallout 3 they've become household names for nerds.
Symone Velez

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:38 am

Just for the hell of it, I'm going to do some pointless speculation on the thing that really doesn't matter; job listings:

Bethesda's job listings have what they call "http://www.gamesas.com/eng/links/gamesas_jobs.html" jobs listed, one of them being http://www.gamesas.com/eng/links/gamesas_jobs.html Maybe they're preparing a trailer for an announcement?

Hey, you never know. :P
Lalla Vu

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:10 am

What on Earth is with all of these ungrateful "fans" complaining about Fallout 3 these days? It's been a YEAR since their last game came out. Bethesda wants money, okay, they aren't Santa Clause, they don't have a factory full of elves who only need to be paid with candy canes. Bethesda is a company, and a company needs money to function. Fallout 3 got them money, lots of money. They didn't "betray" their ES fans, they simply did what was best for the company.

I understand you all want a new TES game, I know it's been a long time since the last game, but give me a break and listen to yourselves! "Rawr, Bethesda hates their fans, I want TESV NOW!!!!!!" If you have nothing better to do than say Bethesda hates it's fans, then why post? Why even post here? Go find another website to complain about how Bethesda "betrayed" you.

Really, how ungrateful can you be?

/end rant.

Ungrateful? Perhaps some of the original fans of Fallout should be more grateful. Bethesda made a sequel, but even they don't appreciate it. TES series was here first, it has always been the center of Bethesda's attention, but now, it isn't. Fallout is Bethesda's current focus. It is taking away time from TES series. We should have an announcement for TES V by now, but we don't because Fallout 3 took time from the developers. I like Fallout 3, but TES series is much better, in my opinion, and it is what Bethesda's loyal fans over the years came to Bethesda for. Now, with Fallout in the picture, a new series that many Elder Scrolls fans don't care for nearly as much as TES series starts taking Bethesda's attention away from TES series and it delays Elder Scrolls games by several years. Of course we are angry, or as you put it, "ungrateful", because their is an invading parasite feeding off of attention that could be spent on TES series. That is my opinion, and probably the opinion of several others, those you call "ungrateful".

Does anyone know just how many developers are working at Bethesda right now? How many were at Bethesda when Oblivion was being made? More developers mean an Elder Scrolls game comes out sooner.
Skrapp Stephens

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:51 pm

Ungrateful? Perhaps some of the original fans of Fallout should be more grateful. Bethesda made a sequel, but even they don't appreciate it. TES series was here first, it has always been the center of Bethesda's attention, but now, it isn't. Fallout is Bethesda's current focus. It is taking away time from TES series. We should have an announcement for TES V by now, but we don't because Fallout 3 took time from the developers. I like Fallout 3, but TES series is much better, in my opinion, and it is what Bethesda's loyal fans over the years came to Bethesda for. Now, with Fallout in the picture, a new series that many Elder Scrolls fans don't care for nearly as much as TES series starts taking Bethesda's attention away from TES series and it delays Elder Scrolls games by several years. Of course we are angry, or as you put it, "ungrateful", because their is an invading parasite feeding off of attention that could be spent on TES series. That is my opinion, and probably the opinion of several others, those you call "ungrateful".

lol having played the first two fallout games i can see why they would upset
jesse villaneda

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:45 am

I said ungrateful because you'd rather Bethesda make the games YOU want to play regardless of how much money Bethesda makes off of Fallout. Fallout made Bethesda more money than Oblivion iirc, and they will use that money to make the elder scrolls series better. It's also money they can use to further the line between profitability and bankruptcy. Bethesda made money, but all you guys want is your game. Be grateful that Fallout 3 made them money that can be spent on future elder scrolls games.

Also, "hardcoe" fans of the Fallout 3 don't like it because it isn't like the first two. Sure, it has the same storyline and settings, but as "hardcoe" fans will tell you, it's not a Fallout game. It's a great game on it's own, but "hardcoe" Fallout fans will never appreciate it as a Fallout title.
Leanne Molloy

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:55 am

Lets get back on topic least this thread be closed again.
Eddie Howe

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:45 am

Lets get back on topic least this thread be closed again.

Just to separate this from the previous statement of mine, I'll repeat this separately.

Does anyone know just how many developers are working at Bethesda right now? How many were at Bethesda when Oblivion was being made? More developers mean an Elder Scrolls game comes out sooner.
STEVI INQUE

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:00 am

To quote my earlier post:

Oblivion was released 3 years and 10 months after the release of Morrowind. 83 people developed Morrowind, and 143 people developed Oblivion. In contrast, 68 people developed Daggerfall and 26 people developed Arena.

Fallout 3 was released 4 years and 3 months after the release of Oblivion, and 159 people developed it. This means that it's very likely that the entire team at Bethesda was devoted solely to Fallout 3, and not another game such as TESV.

We wont know exactly how many people are working at Bethesda now until TESV is released.
josh evans

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:02 pm

and 159 people developed it

For 159 people they sure did make a steaming pile of crap.
JD bernal

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:36 am

You mean Fallout 3?

Well I may not agree with what you say, sir, but I'll fight to the death for your right to say it!

Edit: Lol I totally screwed up that quote...
Crystal Clarke

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:05 am

Fallout 3 a steaming pile of crap? I'll have to disagree with that. Fallout 3 is a great game, and it showed improvement in some of Oblivion's weakpoints. I liked Fallout 3, but I still like Oblivion better. I prefer TES series, and that is why I do not like that some of Bethesda's time is taken up by Fallout 3. I'm still a little upset that the ps3 GOTY edition is almost unplayable. It is a great game, but I can't play it. If they mess up TES V for the ps3 like they did the Fallout 3 GOTY edition, I would be severely disappointed. With Fallout 3 being messed up, I am frustrated. If TES V is messed up, I will go insane.
Lakyn Ellery

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:33 am

To quote my earlier post:

We wont know exactly how many people are working at Bethesda now until TESV is released.

Regardless, the "main" team has to be working on something right now. Whatever it is, it's going to be fine with me.
Iain Lamb

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:03 am

Did anybody notice the Blog saying 2010:The Year We Make GAMES?I think they are hinting at something.
Auguste Bartholdi

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:40 pm

A few things to keep in mind:

1. The earliest phases of a game do not need many people.
2. The people you need early in development may be less necessary (up to redundant) by the end of development.
3. There is no rules that says Bethesda uses every last employee on every title.

Hypotheses:
1. The number of people credited with each game is not entirely meaningful, as someone could move from "Oblivion's production team" to "Unknown IP's pre-production team" and never see Fallout 3.
2. While Bethesda gives a timetable for team members moving to an unannounced title, and others staying on FO3's DLC, it does not specify numbers, names, or real estimates of the distribution. We know it was heavily artists and designers, but we would have known that anyway because programmers are not a massive part of MOST game studios as a percentage.
3. Therefore, it is impossible to say exactly when "Unknown Project" entered pre-production, nor how many people were on the pre-production team, nor how many worked on Fallout 3 and how many did not at this time.

Conclusion: barring insider information, we can assume that the game either went into pre-production with a very large team when FO3 shipped, or production was nearing at that time. The key would be to know this information to determine how quickly you might see a release of the unnamed title. A complete or nearly complete pre-production phase at the release of FO3 is quite a jumpstart to the project: both programmers and artists can acclimate themselves to "the program" and start banging out quality material much sooner than trying to work while planning is still going on.
marie breen

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:28 pm

Oblivion was released in March 2006 and Fallout 3 was released in October 2008. This is not 4 years and 3 months as one of the earlier posts said. This is only 2 years and 7 months.
Ilona Neumann

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:29 pm

Yeah when I read that I thought: 'You dyscalculic or what?'
Inol Wakhid

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:48 am

Oblivion was released in March 2006 and Fallout 3 was released in October 2008. This is not 4 years and 3 months as one of the earlier posts said. This is only 2 years and 7 months.

Yeah when I read that I thought: 'You dyscalculic or what?'

:facepalm:

I meant to say it it was DEVELOPED for 4 years and 3 months. That, at least, is accurate.
Charles Weber

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:49 am

Guys guys guys.

No one has said that they aren't doing another TES game.

What Freddo meant with his post on that other thread was that Bethesda usually takes 2-1.5 years before release to announce a game.
What that means is that since they haven't announced TES V yet, they aren't releasing it this year, judging from the previous releases.

Games aren't made in few weeks anymore.
Sophie Miller

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:35 pm

Did anybody notice the Blog saying 2010:The Year We Make GAMES?I think they are hinting at something.

Well, we've all been assuming that they've been in the process of making it since even before Fallout 3 was done. I don't think they plan on releasing it yet (but then, maybe they do) but I think announcing officially what's coming sounds reasonable if you believe they've been working on it.
joannARRGH

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:29 am

The only think he was hinting at in the blog title is the name of 2001's sequel, 2010:The Year We Make Contact.
Alexander Horton

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:37 am

Noooo, really? Are you sure? Bethesda Softworks is a GAME developer, they have nothing else to do BUT making games!!

EDIT: :banghead: - just felt like the situation called for it...
Nichola Haynes

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:21 pm

I would get very angry if Bethesda released the next TES game on the next gen consoles, I just got a PS3 and probably not have enough money for the next gen stuff.
Lizbeth Ruiz

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:25 am

I would get very angry if Bethesda released the next TES game on the next gen consoles, I just got a PS3 and probably not have enough money for the next gen stuff.

Who's fault is that?
Alisha Clarke

PreviousNext

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion