Fake Patch (Thread #3, for real)

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:29 am

Running newest FakePatch with BS and I can't gain any more exp. After the Purifier events I got out and got the main quest picked up, but it still shows MAX as my experience in the PipBoy. =|

Suggestions?

Did you also download the RemapWaterType esp as well. Without it BS will not work. Btw did Broken Steel give you the update that you could raise your level to 30 yet? If I have to I will give a list of mods that I am using that it (right now that work). I do not really know what conflicts with what but I am running a few mods and am playing BS right now.
Stefanny Cardona

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:17 am

Yeah, I got the message during the scene with Lyons, Rothchild and Sarah in front of Liberty Prime. Gained no exp on the bridge, assumed that was normal and beat the game. Ran RemapWaterType after I entered Jefferson Memorial before completion, got to the next part of BS fine. Still no exp gained. Looked in the GECK, shows iMaxCharacterLevel as 30 no less.
Marquis T

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:19 am

Yeah, I got the message during the scene with Lyons, Rothchild and Sarah in front of Liberty Prime. Gained no exp on the bridge, assumed that was normal and beat the game. Ran RemapWaterType after I entered Jefferson Memorial before completion, got to the next part of BS fine. Still no exp gained. Looked in the GECK, shows iMaxCharacterLevel as 30 no less.

With your current character, have you added and removed allot of mods? I find if you have that it messes up your saved game to no end. I really do not know what to say other then to start a new character. I know that this is not something you wish to hear, however I did and have had not problems other then using a custom character right before activating the purifier.
Jynx Anthropic

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:41 am

Just what exactly do I do in order to make BS work? I'm running Fake Patch with all the appropriate stuff set up, and I've just downloaded and installed BS. (According to the GFWL client) Is there anything special I need to do next?
Nymph

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:05 pm

Just what exactly do I do in order to make BS work? I'm running Fake Patch with all the appropriate stuff set up, and I've just downloaded and installed BS. (According to the GFWL client) Is there anything special I need to do next?

I did not add that I did not use GfWL. I moved the files over so I did not have to play online. My fault for making this clear. FOSE does not like GfWL.
Meghan Terry

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:36 am

With your current character, have you added and removed allot of mods? I find if you have that it messes up your saved game to no end. I really do not know what to say other then to start a new character. I know that this is not something you wish to hear, however I did and have had not problems other then using a custom character right before activating the purifier.

I'll give it a shot and use console commands to speed to 20 and see if the text changes. Just tried an older lv20 file, saw MAX and waited for the Broken Steel alert. It popped up, MAX still showed. =(
Cheryl Rice

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:57 am

I'll give it a shot and use console commands to speed to 20 and see if the text changes. Just tried an older lv20 file, saw MAX and waited for the Broken Steel alert. It popped up, MAX still showed. =(

I forgot to add, did you move your files for offline play, as in not using GfWL? That is how I have been playing (FOSE hates GfWL)
Shannon Marie Jones

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:12 pm

I did not add that I did not use GfWL. I moved the files over so I did not have to play online. My fault for making this clear. FOSE does not like GfWL.

I'm looking through the GFWL folder and I can't seem to find the downloaded files. Is there a special folder where it stashes the DLC's?

I've actually got GFWL disabled for Fallout 3 with that handy mod.
Ezekiel Macallister

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:05 pm

I'm looking through the GFWL folder and I can't seem to find the downloaded files. Is there a special folder where it stashes the DLC's?

I've actually got GFWL disabled for Fallout 3 with that handy mod.

If you open up My Computer (some OSs its Computer) there should be a bar at the top right that you can put a search query into. Just type in Broken (or BrokenSteel) and do a search. If you do not have that bar then go to: Start>search>For Files or Folders and use that. It should work and then just move the files (not copy them) into your Fallout 3 data directory and of course activate them via FOMM or Little Boy.
Imy Davies

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:20 am

Brand new character, console command leveled to 20, still shows MAX. Can use console commands to reach 21, but exp remains at max. Something is screwy here.

And yes, I've kept GFWL at bay for months now, worst program ever. All files are in my normal data folder.
carla

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:19 am

Ah, thanks! I tracked it down. Hopefully it'll all work itself out now.
Rozlyn Robinson

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:48 am

Ah, thanks! I tracked it down. Hopefully it'll all work itself out now.

Good. Remember at the end of the main quest before BS you cannot have a custom race or it will not start. I have found Sarah does not like to come in the same cell with you at times. (Not sure if its my game or the fake patch) Other then that it works. I have not been able to get any farther because I thought it was important since I was able to down load it Tuesday (successfully) to answer as many questions about BS so that 1000+ threads about how to get the Fake patch to work.
Bad News Rogers

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:29 pm

Not running any custom races, I actually don't use many mods other than the obligatory patches and utilities needed to get a bare minimum of playability out of the thing.

Whelp, I got the "BS has loaded" message and my XP thingy has updated. So far so good! Now it's just a matter of actually getting to the end of the main quest, heh. Still at Little Lamplight.
stevie trent

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:27 pm

Not running any custom races, I actually don't use many mods other than the obligatory patches and utilities needed to get a bare minimum of playability out of the thing.

Whelp, I got the "BS has loaded" message and my XP thingy has updated. So far so good! Now it's just a matter of actually getting to the end of the main quest, heh. Still at Little Lamplight.

If things do not go as planned I would suggest reinstalling Fallout 3 and using the Fake patch and please read the first post if you do.
Prisca Lacour

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:45 am

I'm confused...why are people saying they use patch 1.4 WITH the Fake Patch. From what I understand there is no point in doing so. However, we may be able to use 1.4 with Broken Steel and just use the Watertype addon from this thread WITHOUT the Fake Patch. Can anyone please tell me why you would use both or if using 1.4 with the Watertype addon works fine?
Baby K(:

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:47 pm

I'm confused...why are people saying they use patch 1.4 WITH the Fake Patch. From what I understand there is no point in doing so. However, we may be able to use 1.4 with Broken Steel and just use the Watertype addon from this thread WITHOUT the Fake Patch. Can anyone please tell me why you would use both or if using 1.4 with the Watertype addon works fine?

That is what I'm wondering too. If the only thing I lose from Broken Steel by not patching to 1.5 and just using the watertype addon .esp is the Tesla Cannon, I think I can be fine with that. I guess that is a big question: How much does 1.5 actually enable?

I've really loved Fallout 3, but there is just no way I'm going to start the game entirely over and throw 130-140 hours and tons of awesome mods out the window so I can enjoy this DLC.
Beast Attire

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:16 am

The main ESM of the Fake patch emulates the updates without breaking anything. Some find that they can play without reinstalling Fallout 3. That is their choice, however with a fresh install things should work better. Also some the Fake patch works for em if they do not reinstall while others have to. It all boils down to your computer. Some are fussier then others.
JD FROM HELL

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:38 am

Yes, there is. Look for the GFWL stand-alone client. You don't even need FO3 on the machine you DL with it.

Does this affect anything down the road...?
Mari martnez Martinez

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:54 am

Does this affect anything down the road...?

As far as I know it does not.
Vickytoria Vasquez

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:49 pm

I'm still wondering if you couldn't patch to 1.5, complete the game to the end of vanilla content/beginning of BS, let the script with the command RemapWaterType run and then save the game, reinstall/fake patch and then run the work around as well with BS.
Vivien

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:07 am

I'm still wondering if you couldn't patch to 1.5, complete the game to the end of vanilla content/beginning of BS, let the script with the command RemapWaterType run and then save the game, reinstall/fake patch and then run the work around as well with BS.

You could possibly do that, however that is more work then most people would want to do. (No offense to anybody) Even I would shudder having to do that.
Natalie J Webster

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:32 pm

You could possibly do that, however that is more work then most people would want to do. (No offense to anybody) Even I would shudder having to do that.

Not that much work. IDK about you but I have a save right before
Spoiler
liberty prime takes his walk across the Enclave's backside towards PP
so if I had BS I'd test it out at the very least, just run through and complete the quest, wait for BS to kick in and do whatever it does, huzzah huzzah huzzah I'm a hero, reinstall/fake patch and go VATS crazy in the new content. Fully operational VATS is a requirement for me, and if it means having working VATS or a lvl 30 cap, I'll take VATS.

Including game time I'm talking maybe 20 minutes, and that is with cleaning my registry and two PC restarts(one with uninstall, one with reinstall).
Angela Woods

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:47 am

Sorry, I realize I may be coming off as a buffoon but this is confusing me for some reason.

I don't play Fallout 3 online, so I didn't have to bother with Patch 1.5 to download the DLC. I've moved the files over to my data directory like with previous DLC.

I understand that Patch 1.5 is necessary to deal with the water issue. I've downloaded the remapwater addon from the Fake Patch entry on the Nexus and would activate this after entering Jefferson Memorial but before activating the purifier. That seems fairly straight forward.

What else does Fake Patch do that is necessary for playing Broken Steel? Also, did I understand you correctly that it may be possible to simply activate the Fake Patch .esm without changing my current Fallout 3 install (patched to 1.4)? I guess that one would be just hit or miss to see if I'm one of the affected people that requires a reinstall.

I guess my main questions are:

- Could I/we potentially play Broken Steel with JUST the remapwater addon? Would I/we only be losing out on the Tesla Cannon?
- Does Fake Patch allow use of the Tesla Cannon and any other issues that lacking Patch 1.5 might add?
phillip crookes

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:36 am

I've had terrible luck with the 1.0.0.15 exe as well. It isn't stable compared to 1.4's. I've even had Megaton NPC's disappear like someone said earlier in the thread. I'm tempted to patch to 1.5 but can't wrap my head around what exactly is wrong with the patch in terms of how it affects mods.
Open all your mods in FO3Edit and open Fake Patches Worlspace group and find "Megaton World". Odds are that a mod has a reference placed or edited in Megaton and their record is without the safety net, "Don't allow NPC fall damage". This would happen in any case, regardless of your Fallout version.
Stefanny Cardona

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:42 pm

Is everyone starting up with fose just fine? I can't seem to get fose to work with patch 1.0.0.15. I crash on startup with fose, but it starts up fine without it. I followed the fake patch instructions precisely, so I can only assume fose v1.1 beta6 is working. Maybe I'm doing someting wrong? I did notice the FO3 launcher version after patch says v1.1.12, but is'nt that right?
Lew.p

PreviousNext

Return to Fallout 3