An Idea of how Vampires and Werewolves Could Have Been Done.

Post » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:51 pm

the gift quest is pointless considering you just end up having to kill them anyway.

You're babbling Dawnguard. I was referring to http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:The_Gift
Matt Gammond

Post » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:02 am

You're babbling Dawnguard. I was referring to http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:The_Gift
thought you were talking about this
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:New_Allegiances
Harry-James Payne

Post » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:50 am

since lore is no longer an issue I think that stormcloaks should now be stormtroopers because really is there a difference? they are both soldiers. Compromise is ok as long as the body of the subject remains largely unaltered but it's when the compromise becomes the subject is when everything within the reference of the original subject looses meaning because it simply isn't the same subject. If a werewolf is no longer tied to the moon and no longer is burdened by the classical drawbacks of the condition then in my mind this thing that we are calling a werewolf is only a shapeshifter. The whole of the subject has become moot because actual werewolves were never really even added to the game and the substitute is an insult to my intelligence.
Minako

Post » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:48 am

since lore is no longer an issue I think that stormcloaks should now be stormtroopers because really is there a difference? they are both soldiers. Compromise is ok as long as the body of the subject remains largely unaltered but it's when the compromise becomes the subject is when everything within the reference of the original subject looses meaning because it simply isn't the same subject. If a werewolf is no longer tied to the moon and no longer is burdened by the classical drawbacks of the condition then in my mind this thing that we are calling a werewolf is only a shapeshifter. The whole of the subject has become moot because actual werewolves were never really even added to the game and the substitute is an insult to my intelligence.
there are many different versions of werewolves. They don't have to change at a full moon. I do not know why everyone is soo worried about lore. Just play the game.
Nancy RIP

Post » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:51 am

there are many different versions of werewolves. They don't have to change at a full moon. I do not know why everyone is soo worried about lore. Just play the game.
:facepalm: Are you really not worried about the lore being screwed up? I am glad Bethesda added lore behind the werewolves not having lunar transformations, but that is just the Companions. They have added wild werewolves, so we should be able to contract the disease from them, and they should have lunar transformations.
Yung Prince

Post » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:29 am

It's important to adhere to the rules of your mythology. If Batman suddenly shoots lasers out of his eyes, can fly through space, and is completely impervious to pain, the story ceases to be good because the writers fail to adhere to the rules of their mythology.

Not every werewolf or vampire needs to be the same, but they need to be consistent within their own universe. That's what Skyrim's failing is.
Kelly Upshall

Post » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:13 pm

It's important to adhere to the rules of your mythology. If Batman suddenly shoots lasers out of his eyes, can fly through space, and is completely impervious to pain, the story ceases to be good because the writers fail to adhere to the rules of their mythology.

Not every werewolf or vampire needs to be the same, but they need to be consistent within their own universe. That's what Skyrim's failing is.
If Batman started doing that you, the Riddler, would be baffled. :biggrin:
Taylrea Teodor

Post » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:48 pm

katie TWAVA

Post » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:23 pm

and there are many different kinds of soldiers like stormcloaks and stormtroopers. Can't you see my point? You demean the entire game and just make it tacky by these half assed unapologetic changes. What makes this product unique among the competition are the fine details. What would you say if in the game you were fighting stormtrooper instead of stormcloaks? I would say "wow that's tacky and completely out of place". The importance of established lore can not be underestimated. If you understand my example then you my friend at some level can now begin to know how these lore conflicting changed make us lore buffs feel when playing these games.
Edit: I mean if it really doesn't matter to you then just go play WoW and be a armor wearing sword wielding werewolf because in the end it's still a humanoid wolf creature, that's good enough right? "Just play the game"!
Chelsea Head

Post » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:18 am

So I guess what you are saying is that transforming into a werewolf at will makes no sense huh? It does make sense and all they have to do is add lore behind it to show an explanation.
you still don't get it and whats sad about the rest of us is that we don't realize that you don't want to "get it".
Taylor Tifany

Post » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:18 pm

So I guess what you are saying is that transforming into a werewolf at will makes no sense huh? It does make sense and all they have to do is add lore behind it to show an explanation.
I don't get it if you want to be able to transform whenever you want, and as many times as you want, then why don't you use the RING OF HIRCINE it gives you an unlimited amount of transformations.
dell

Post » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:59 am

thus butchering previous lore.
no.
Curveballs On Phoenix

Post » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:24 am

It doesn't make sense. It breaks the rules of their established mythology, and from a gameplay outlook, it makes one of (and in Skyrim, the only) ability of the Ring of Hircine completely pointless, which is never a good thing. That's why I'm so bothered by the vanilla vampires and the vampire lords being so similar. It's bad game design.
alicia hillier

Post » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:15 am

Vampires this werewolves that we are now contributing to the cliche..
Agnieszka Bak

Post » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:15 am

Vampires this werewolves that we are now contributing to the cliche..
What are you talking about?
des lynam

Post » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:34 pm

In the media today two of the major topics are vampires and werewolves by talking about it more we are keeping the cliche of vampires and werewolves alive.
james reed

Post » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:47 am

In the media today two of the major topics are vampires and werewolves by talking about it more we are keeping the cliche of vampires and werewolves alive.
:facepalm: Some of us have been fans of werewolves and vampires before they became popular in recent media...
Rachyroo

Post » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:24 am

what you have just said is utterly pointless and is made even more pointless in reference to thread you have posted it in
jesse villaneda

Post » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:12 pm

I think each of us needs to realize that we all have our opinions on lore.

But in terms of gameplay I think that the ability to transform repeatedly without consequence or drawback is a really overpowering aspect. Yes, the Vampire Lord can do this, but it has weaknesses inherent to the Vampire it comes from.
A forced lunar transformation to non-Companion werewolves would be a good balancing factor with the Vampire's weakness to fire and stat reduction in sunlight.

Know how much not being able to get a "Well Rested" bonus has affected me? Not at all. Now, being forced to turn into the beast every full moon would be a very fair, and reasonable drawback to being a Werewolf. No lore-breaking, or lore-creating involved. It's a known and heavily reinforced part of the Lycanthropy mythology.
Dan Endacott

Post » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:25 pm

No they don't. Vampires in TES take sun damage, only the Cyrodiilic vampires don't take damage in the sun, and that is only after recently feeding.

Haha REL_Dovahkin I have this random skill at Ninjaing you.
Nope, Volkihar Vampires don't burn in the sun.
Beast Attire

Post » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:00 am

Nope, Volkihar Vampires don't burn in the sun.
I think thats one of the main reason's why the volkihar can keep the other clans out of skyrim since they are weakened in the sunlight instead of combusting like the other clans.
Connie Thomas

Post » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:17 am

I think though, it is implied in Immortal Blood that the Volkihar can't blend in with the living.

" I told him about the most powerful tribe, the Volkihar clan, paranoid and cruel, whose very breath could freeze their victims' blood in the veins. I explained to him how they lived beneath the ice of remote and haunted lakes, never venturing into the world of men except to feed."

I think Harkon's warlord background gives rise to the castle they dwell in...

But are they splinters of the Volkihar, or are all the vampires in Skyrim some manner of Volkihar breed, born of Molag Bal or infected by the Volkihar themselves?

Too much is up for debate to say, I think.
JESSE

Post » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:20 pm

I think though, it is implied in Immortal Blood that the Volkihar can't blend in with the living.

" I told him about the most powerful tribe, the Volkihar clan, paranoid and cruel, whose very breath could freeze their victims' blood in the veins. I explained to him how they lived beneath the ice of remote and haunted lakes, never venturing into the world of men except to feed."

I think Harkon's warlord background gives rise to the castle they dwell in...

But are they splinters of the Volkihar, or are all the vampires in Skyrim some manner of Volkihar breed, born of Molag Bal or infected by the Volkihar themselves?

Too much is up for debate to say, I think.
But they don't blend not because they are ugly they look rather human they don't try and do it because they don't care for human society as you see in dawnguard they only start caring when people start messing with their food and then they simply go out and curbstomp the problem and go back to the castle. They are like gangrel from the world of darkness.

As it said in immortal blood the volkihar are "paranoid and cruel" and harkon's court pretty much fit the bill in terms of their quest line and side quests heck they eat people off the tables.

Heck the vampire faction see the dawnguard faction as a side quest their whole main quest line has nothing to do with em either. Lets not forget when it finally comes to killing them its more an "Yeah these guys are getting kinda annoying take care of them will you?"

Oh and harkon says that they are the oldest vampires/clan in skyrim so they are volkihar plus the order does not have a presence in skyrim I think they pretty much like having control of cyrodil since it fits their taste and they simply destroy any other vampire clan that tries to enter cyrodil.

Bethesda captured the volkihar personality really well imo when it releases on the PC I will give myself the ice breath shout and ethereal and specilaze in ice magic I will just call the shouts vampire abilities/magic.
Farrah Barry

Post » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:45 pm

lol herpaderp nords dont care if vampires walk around in the cities but khajit walking in the cities is the end of the world. lol.
Neliel Kudoh

Post » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:36 am

lol herpaderp nords dont care if vampires walk around in the cities but khajit walking in the cities is the end of the world. lol.
Well khajiit tend to take anything that's not bolted down on the floor. Well when I am a khajiit I normally enter the city at night and steal everything I can so that is pretty much a apocalypse for the town. :biggrin:
Zach Hunter

PreviousNext

Return to V - Skyrim