You Got To Be Kidding Me

Post » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:29 pm

Not the guy you quoted but I thought braveheart was cringe inducing rubbish.

Here are just some the films I like (off the top of my head):

LA Confidential
Memento
Mississipi Burning
The Remains of the Day
The King's Speech
Honeydripper
The Blues Brothers (not the 2000 version)
Pi
Black Swan
Shawshank Redemption
Speed
Terminator 1
Die Hard 1
The Orphanage (not the orphan, which is crap)
Brazil
Dr Strangelove
A Clockwork Orange
2001: A space Odyssey
Blade Runner
SIlence of the Lambs
Fight Club
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Not sure what any of those have in common with Braveheart, but most of them are pretty good.

If you're a historian, or just dislike Mel Gibson, I could see why Braveheart would irk you...

There's not much reason to elsewise, and it is largely considered one of the greatest movies in its genre by the people that actually make movies. :shrug:

Besides, it's not like Channing freaking Tatum was in the movie for chrissake.
JLG

Post » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:28 am

They tried to make it a sea of grey, but mostly failed. They are better off leaving that kind of "pesky" and complex writing to people who can actually do it proper justice. Like I said, Alduin's character boils down to "I R EVIL DRAGON." Nothing more, there is no complexity there.

That is a rather simplistic view, but I'll defer to an impasse again.

These absolute generalizations are rather unbecoming I must say.
Michael Korkia

Post » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:38 pm

Not the guy you quoted but I thought braveheart was cringe inducing rubbish.

Here are just some the films I like (off the top of my head):

LA Confidential
Memento
Mississipi Burning
The Remains of the Day
The King's Speech
Honeydripper
The Blues Brothers (not the 2000 version)
Pi
Black Swan
Shawshank Redemption
Speed
Terminator 1
Die Hard 1
The Orphanage (not the orphan, which is crap)
Brazil
Dr Strangelove
A Clockwork Orange
2001: A space Odyssey
Blade Runner
SIlence of the Lambs
Fight Club
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

I can agree with both 2001 and Blade Runner.
Though I mildly enjoyed Fight Club, I found the predecessor
Se7en
an absolute Masterpiece.
Claudia Cook

Post » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:50 pm

It can help to enrich a narrative I guess, providing drama through relationships.

I don't see it helping much as a game mechanic though, well outside of trading or bonuses.

Skyrim obviously focused on the latter.

I can accept that in more character-driven plots in games. I absolutely love Mass Effect, and while I haven't seen the love scenes in ME2, the one in the first ME was just fine. It came about after the player intentionally moving the relationship toward that end, and contrary to the uninformed media hype about it, there was nothing in it that couldn't be shown in a PG movie, so almost nobody would have an issue allowing their thirteen year old to play the game.

The one in the Witcher just seemed like Skinemax soft-core to me, after I watched it on the internet.

And in Skyrim, it just wouldn't work. The character isn't pre-defined like John Shepard largely is. You can make certain choices for Shepard, but you can't create him from the ground up the way you do with your character in TES.

Impressive looking, maybe. But as an actual character with motivations and power to alter the world? Hardly. I never once felt threatened by him or his dragons. For such a powerful intelligent race, they are awfully disorganized, and he keeps a rather long chain to his servitors.

Dragons always are disorganized. They rarely meet, they're natural loners, and while most of them obey Alduin, they don't get together for coffee.

Why did he never call his risen priests and draugr, and other dragons to lead devastating attacks and claim cities in his name converting more to his worship? Why did he never think to engage us in combat at any point during his dragon resurrections, if he knew we were powerless to stop him before acquiring dragonrend? Why did he save us at Helgen? Why did he not bother to try and convince others it would be in their best interest to stand with him than against him?

His saving the PC at Helgen was completely unintentional, and rather ironic in fact.

His entire character is literally set up to fail, as he makes countless "cartoon villain" mistakes in a row. It's absolutely pathetic. A good villain should make you hate them, a good antagonist could make you love or hate them depending on their motivations and drives, Alduin however, is neither as he prompts only indifference from me.

He wants to wipe out the world. That's reason enough to loathe him.

For fun ,interest, excitement ,intrigue, plain old fantasy RPG goodnes. You don't read much D&D type fantasy do you. Romance is always a good thing what are you anti six or something.

LOL

Hell no. I normally can't stand franchise-based literature. The handful of Star Wars novels I've read were nerd-bait trash. So were the Star Trek novels, and I'm a big fan of both franchises. You'll never find me reading a Mass Effect or Halo novel. If anybody ever makes an Elder Scrolls novel I wouldn't even dream of reading it.

Romance is fine, but as I said, it belongs in games with more pre-defined characters like Mass Effect, not TES with its entirely player-created PCs. And while the Witcher fits right in with Mass Effect in that respect, I thought that showing that much skin was purely a case of fan service. It's like if LucasArts made a Star Wars game, and had an animated Padme or Leia have a full-nudity six scene in it. Nerd-bait, fan service, whatever you wanna call it, it would be dumb.
Flutterby

Post » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:06 am

Not sure what any of those have in common with Braveheart, but most of them are pretty good.

If you're a historian, or just dislike Mel Gibson, I could see why Braveheart would irk you...

There's not much reason to elsewise, and it is largely considered one of the greatest movies in its genre by the people that actually make movies. :shrug:

Besides, it's not like Channing freaking Tatum was in the movie for chrissake.

I'm a little bit of a history buff, I think that's what did it.
sw1ss

Post » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:14 am

He was a descendant of the royal Camoran dynasty of Valenwood (known to potentially have interbred with Ayleid refugees) whose father, Camoran the Usurper, led a major Tamrielic uprising. By the time he is met in Oblivion, he is a prophetic proponent of the age-old Elvish goal of returning to the Dawn, when the Aldmeri considered themselves to be gods, by destroying Mundus, the physical realm reviled by the Elves (particularly the Altmer and presumably the Aldmeri and Ayleids before them) as the prisoner's cage created by the trickster Lorkhan/Shor/Shezarr. He utilizes Dagon's inherent nature to destroy Tamriel to attempt to realize his goals and formed the Mythic Dawn as such. It is arguably assumable that he is, to some degree, an Ayleid descendant and that the Camoran bloodline may be Dragonborn (given their royalty and Camoran's symbolic wearing of the amulet). His goals are readily available and he does, you know, actually speak to the player. I'm not a big proponent of Oblivion's story, but that alone is far more than we can really know about Alduin and what's going on there... he just taunts us a few times, not that Oblivion's story is even good, really.

He's an ancient god or demi-god who wants to consume the world. I think that's an incredible story premise.
Quick draw II

Post » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:16 am

advlts don't need boobies in the game for it to be a game for advlts. Boobies are great, but saying that if it doesn't have boobs then it's for kids is a distinctly adolescent argument.

six in video games (or in other forms of art or literature) for its own sake always tends to be lame. If sensuality naturally flows from the story there is not a thing wrong with it. At all. I haven't played any of The Witcher series, but I plan on getting the 360 port when it comes out mid-year. It is an advlt-oriented RPG. advlts have six. I would rather not control the act of "doin'-it" in the actual game, but if Geralt gets busy whilst resting from demon hunting, it is all good with me. six is not all that scary.

No one here said anything about how six automatically makes an advlt game. So I haven't a clue where your coming from.
Sista Sila

Post » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:45 pm

Contrary to your opinion a majority of gamers like sixual content in our video games. The Witcher is an action RPG with sixual content if you can't deal with that your safe in Skyrim becaue it doesn't have any. It could use some imo.
six is present in a lot of the stories in the world, they just aren't big on long cutscenes of awkardly animated pixel humping. For which I am profoundly grateful.

TW2 forces you to play one character who's in a relationship with one particular other character (regardless of who you chose in TW1) so they can show scripted scenes like that (which isn't all that good, let's face it). It's just not necessary in an open RPG.

edit- although give credit to CDPR for moving the bar slightly higher than the junior high six cards in TW1
Josh Lozier

Post » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:16 pm

He wants to wipe out the world. That's reason enough to loathe him.

His motivations were all over the place. They say he wants to destroy the world, but he at several points says things to the effect of "I want to make you people into my slaves", and "This world is mine"...so which is it really? Maybe the writers couldn't even properly make up their own minds on something as simple and straight forward as that. Not once, does Alduin himself ever say that he intends to destroy the world, or why.
Vahpie

Post » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:39 pm

Romance is fine, but as I said, it belongs in games with more pre-defined characters like Mass Effect, not TES with its entirely player-created PCs. And while the Witcher fits right in with Mass Effect in that respect, I thought that showing that much skin was purely a case of fan service. It's like if LucasArts made a Star Wars game, and had an animated Padme or Leia have a full-nudity six scene in it. Nerd-bait, fan service, whatever you wanna call it, it would be dumb.

Am I shallow for saying I would play that Star Wars game?

Yeah, but damnit I would SO buy that.
Sam Parker

Post » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:48 pm

LOL

I have no idea about the game itself, but the inclusion of the six scene just seemed to be a gimmick to sell it to nineteen year olds.
So you have no idea about the game which means you have not played it yet you judge the game by six scenes.Sorry but an opinion from someone who has not played the game holds no weight at all.
CHARLODDE

Post » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:46 pm

Am I shallow for saying I would play that Star Wars game?

Yeah, but damnit I would SO buy that.

LOL

Well I admit that I'd be Googling to see the scenes myself, just for fun, but it sure would be irrelevant to a game. Might as well just release such an animation on the internet and be done with it. It isn't like anybody's gonna actually buy the game for that when it'll be on the internet to watch mere days after the game comes out.
Glu Glu

Post » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:08 am

anyone who believes skyrim's story was award worthy did not play the better games of yesteryear.

Skyrim is about making your own story, and by having the main quest unfold as it does it harms itself in that area by forcing you down a path.

On the Witcher, every single six scene is optional. The first game was juvenile in its portrayal of six to be sure, and there is one instance of such juvenility in 2. ONE. The plot of the Witcher 2's first chapter had better writing than anything bethesda has done in a decade.

Then there is Batman Arkham City, which had an excellent story that kept me interested the whole time. I never felt like my actions didn't matter. (They actually didn't, but the illusion of change is stronger than actual change)

Then there is... Gears of War... with its... ugh... But the fact is that plot was still stronger than skyrim's.

Don't get me wrong here. I love skyrim. But I don't love its story. because that is just a framework to guide you in shaping your character. Not a true narrative.
matt white

Post » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:29 am

So you have no idea about the game which means you have not played it yet you judge the game by six scenes.Sorry but an opinion from someone who has not played the game holds no weight at all.

I'm not judging the game. It might well be a fun game. I'm judging the six scene, which I did in fact watch, and which, as I said, comes across as a cheesy six scene from a B-movie Skinemax feature.
Timara White

Post » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:17 am

six is present in a lot of the stories in the world, they just aren't big on long cutscenes of awkardly animated pixel humping. For which I am profoundly grateful.

TW2 forces you to play one character who's in a relationship with one particular other character (regardless of who you chose in TW1) so they can show scripted scenes like that (which isn't all that good, let's face it). It's just not necessary in an open RPG.

edit- although give credit to CDPR for moving the bar slightly higher than the junior high six cards in TW1

I'm not sure I follow you.
You oppose sixual content in Open World RPGs because of technical issues - properly engendering and rendering six scenes between partners in which one of them is not pre set - or because it doesn't belong there altogether?
Jamie Moysey

Post » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:39 am

anyone who believes skyrim's story was award worthy did not play the better games of yesteryear.

Skyrim is about making your own story, and by having the main quest unfold as it does it harms itself in that area by forcing you down a path.

On the Witcher, every single six scene is optional. The first game was juvenile in its portrayal of six to be sure, and there is one instance of such juvenility in 2. ONE. The plot of the Witcher 2's first chapter had better writing than anything bethesda has done in a decade.

I'm not complaining about either Witcher game, since I've played neither. I'm just saying the six scene was a juvenile Skinemax-level scene introduced just as a gimmick.
Sharra Llenos

Post » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:25 pm

I'm not sure I follow you.
You oppose sixual content in Open World RPGs because of technical issues - properly engendering and rendering six scenes between partners in which one of them is not pre set - or because it doesn't belong there altogether?

For myself, both. One, because it isn't likely to be all that good a scene, and two, because even if you think one of the characters looks good, it's still a gimmick designed to get nineteen year olds to buy the game, at the expense of fourteen year olds being able to buy it. Some six scenes are simply shoehorned in to get butts in seats, so to speak. The one in Witcher 2 was, once again, pretty silly in terms of six scenes.
Saul C

Post » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:11 pm

His motivations were all over the place. They say he wants to destroy the world, but he at several points says things to the effect of "I want to make you people into my slaves", and "This world is mine"...so which is it really? Maybe the writers couldn't even properly make up their own minds on something as simple and straight forward as that. Not once, does Alduin himself ever say that he intends to destroy the world, or why.

Can both things not be his motivation? Enslave everybody while he consumes the world over time?
Kaley X

Post » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:47 pm

I'm not complaining about either Witcher game, since I've played neither. I'm just saying the six scene was a juvenile Skinemax-level scene introduced just as a gimmick.

You so obviously lack
the European sensibility.

:D
Paula Rose

Post » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:14 am

I played quite a few games in 2011, though I didn't play the Witcher. I constantly confuse that game with a Nicholas Cage movie... and really haven't heard to many positive things about it other than there is a six scene.

Skyrim had some very interesting stories in comparison to the rest of the games I played in 2011 for which was the year the award was given.

I don't think that any TES game would win for best story of all time... even within its own genre. It would most likely be a JRPG in all honesty, as much as people may hate to admit it... :P
Krystal Wilson

Post » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:39 am

I played quite a few games in 2011, though I didn't play the Witcher. I constantly confuse that game with a Nicholas Cage movie... and really haven't heard to many positive things about it other than there is a six scene.

Skyrim had some very interesting stories in comparison to the rest of the games I played in 2011 for which was the year the award was given.

I don't think that any TES game would win for best story of all time... even within its own genre. It would most likely be a JRPG in all honesty, as much as people may hate to admit it... :tongue:

read my ninja edit. also, watch a let's play of it, people focus on the six scenes because thats arguably the only bad aspect of the witcher 2.

and the problem people have isn't a single six scene, its that there are many.
Alyna

Post » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:28 pm

read my ninja edit.

SNEAKY!

Kudos, all of you, for remaining topical and civil as we reach the end of this thread.

*EDIT*

I'll agree with that sentiment, but I loathe Gears on a level I cannot describe. Even if that game foretold my future, or gave me lottery numbers... I'd refuse to acknowledge a single positive thing about it.

And that's really the issue here :

Preference.
Jade Muggeridge

Post » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:11 am

Just to lighten things up a bit, and wildly OT,

Has anyone watched ?Carnage? by Roman Polansky?

A Must see.
And, Look Ma!, no six scenes.

:biggrin:
Kellymarie Heppell

Post » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:03 am

Only it isn't? The two games are based on a series of novels, that have such things as a part of the setting.
Etta Hargrave

Post » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:50 pm

I'm not judging the game. It might well be a fun game. I'm judging the six scene, which I did in fact watch, and which, as I said, comes across as a cheesy six scene from a B-movie Skinemax feature.
Well the six scenes with prosttutes are meant to be like they are prosttutes and the scene with Triss is a romantically linked character which i think is well done.They are a vast improvement on the shameful Mass Effect scenes.
Loane

PreviousNext

Return to V - Skyrim