AMD Catalyst 11.10 Preview Driver (RAGEBF3 Unified Driver)

Post » Mon May 14, 2012 1:24 pm

I guess I don't have permission to edit my post, but I just got back to Wellspring and my NPC's no longer flicker there which is really nice.

Great to hear!

Did you change any settings or add config file, or simply install the new driver?
Jake Easom

Post » Tue May 15, 2012 1:22 am

I'm also still experiencing npc flicker (especially in Wellspring). Other than this the game is running relatively smoothly.

Driver
[indent]11.10 preview driver dated 10/7/2011[/indent]

Specs:
[indent]CPU i7 920 @ 3.4Ghz
GPU: HIS Radeon 5870 1GB x 2 in Crossfire
RAM: 6 GB Triple Channel
Resolution: 1920 x 1080
[/indent]
rageconfig.cfg settings:
[indent]seta com_videoRam 1024 //sets the Video Card memory Set this to the amount you have in MB
seta image_anisotropy 4 //Using the highest setting here but you can set as 2, 4 or 8
seta image_usecompression 0
seta image_filter GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR //filtering for light maps
seta image_preload 1 //Use preload images when ever possible
seta image_lodbias -1 //LoD settings
seta image_ignoreHighQuality 0 //Sets up for using HQ gfx
seta image_ignoreLowQuality 1 //ignores the low textures
seta image_useCache 1 //Enabled Cache to allow the textures to load properly without popping
seta image_cacheMegs 250 //Cache size in Megabytes
seta image_cacheMinK 100 //Cache minimum size in kilobytes
seta r_useHighQualityPostProcess 1 //Fore High Quality post proccessing
seta r_shadowsHighQuality 1 //Fore High Quality shadows
seta r_displayRefresh 0 //keep it so the engine doesn't double render a frame
seta r_renderer best //highest rendering options
seta r_multiSamples 32 //Max Multi-sampling
seta r_useHBAO 1
seta r_useRenderThread 1 //Disable or enable threaded rendering
seta r_visDistMult 1
seta r_useMotionBlur 1 //use blur
seta r_skipBump 0
seta r_skipSpecular 0
seta r_skipNewAmbient 0
seta r_shadows 1
seta r_cgFragmentProfile best
seta r_cgVertexProfile best
seta vt_lodBias -1 //LoD settings
seta vt_maxPPF 16
//below is cache settings
seta vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 8192
seta vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly 8192
seta vt_pageimagesizeunique 8192
seta vt_pageimagesizevmtr 8192
[/indent]
Steam Start Options
[indent]+com_skipIntroVideo 1 +fs_cachepath "C:\Users\Ed\AppData\Local\id software\rage" +r_swapInterval 1
[/indent]
CCC Settings
[indent]SMOOTHVISION HD: Anti-Aliasing: Use application settings and Morphological filtering both checked
SMOOTHVISION HD: Anisotropic Filtering: Use application settings
Tessellation: AMD Optimized
Catalyst A.I.: Texture Filtering Quality: Quality and Enable Surface Format Optimization checked
Mipmap Detail Level: Quality
Wait for vertical refresh: Off, Unless application specifies
Anti-Aliasing Mode: Performance
OpenGL Settings: Triple Buffering unchecked
[/indent]
NOTES
[indent]I've tried several different combinations of AA, Triple Buffering, Forcing VSync, etc. but nothing fixes the npc flicker[/indent]
Tania Bunic

Post » Mon May 14, 2012 11:36 am

Mine isnt working
Specs
windows 7 32-bit
intel core2 quad
ATI Radeon HD 5670
4gig ram
1280-1024 res
i downloaded catalyst and the game always crashes after the intro
i can get past the intro now but when i try to enter new areas it crashes
PLZ help
Jason White

Post » Mon May 14, 2012 7:42 pm

Great to hear!

Did you change any settings or add config file, or simply install the new driver?

I only installed the new driver, using the same config file I have been. Hopefully the MBTV mutants were just a one off thing.
Claudia Cook

Post » Mon May 14, 2012 10:58 am

After uninstalling the old drivers and installing the new drivers, its like night and day. ALL issues have been resolved including Loading Screen crashes, especially Sewers and Mutant Bash TV. There have also been massive improvements graphically.

Admittedly, I am still using the Cache and Rageconfig.cfg 'hacks'. I've fiddled with many different rageconfig.cfg and the one below works best for my system.

Here is my Rageconfig.cfg:

seta com_videoRam  1024  //sets the Video Card memory Set this to the amount you have in MBseta image_anisotropy  4  //Using the highest setting here but you can set as 2, 4 or 8seta image_usecompression 0 seta image_filter  GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR  //filtering for light mapsseta image_preload  1  //Use preload images when ever possibleseta image_lodbias  -1  //LoD settingsseta image_ignoreHighQuality  0  //Sets up for using HQ gfxseta image_ignoreLowQuality  1  //ignores the low texturesseta image_useCache  1  //Enabled Cache to allow the textures to load properly without poppingseta image_cacheMegs  250  //Cache size in Megabytesseta image_cacheMinK  100  //Cache minimum size in kilobytesseta r_useHighQualityPostProcess  1  //Fore High Quality post proccessingseta r_shadowsHighQuality  1  //Fore High Quality shadows seta r_displayRefresh  0  //keep it so the engine doesn't double render a frameseta r_renderer  best  //highest rendering optionsseta r_multiSamples  32  //Max Multi-samplingseta r_useHBAO  1 seta r_useRenderThread  1  //Disable or enable threaded renderingseta r_visDistMult  1 seta r_useMotionBlur  1  //use blurseta r_skipBump  0  seta r_skipSpecular  0 seta r_skipNewAmbient  0 seta r_shadows  1 seta r_cgFragmentProfile  best seta r_cgVertexProfile  best seta vt_lodBias  -1  //LoD settingsseta vt_maxPPF 16 //below is cache settingsseta vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2  8192 seta vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly  8192 seta vt_pageimagesizeunique  8192seta vt_pageimagesizevmtr  8192 

My System Specs:

CPU: AMD 955 BE 3.2 gHz
RAM: 12Gb G-Skill
GPU: Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X 1Gb
Resolution: 1920 x 1080 (1080p)
Using Steam Command Line: +fs_cachepath "C:\Users\*UName*\AppData\Local\id software\rage" +r_swapInterval 1
CCC:
AA: Use Application and Morphilogical filtering checked
Anistropic: Use Application settings checked
Tessilation: AMD Optimized
Catalyst A.I. on HQ with Enable Surface Format Optimization checked
MipMap: Quality
V-Sync: Always On
Anti-Aliasing: Quality
Triple Buffering: Checked

Issue: Spider Bots artifact initially, but quickly corrects.

Edit: Woops, seems there is an issue with Spider Bots, there are some artifacts. But they seems to settle down fairly quickly.
Edit2: In responce to post 55

Can i just copy that config text into my config file? or do i have to do something else i have 5850. 955BE 3.2GHz 4GB RAM.
Monika Fiolek

Post » Mon May 14, 2012 11:43 pm

My understanding is that the GPU transcoding for AMD cards is not activated, so all the transcoding is performed by the CPU unless you have an NVIDIA card.

http://www.geforce.com/News/articles/how-to-unlock-rages-high-resolution-textures-with-a-few-simple-tweaks

Basically, the GPU Transcoding only works with NVIDIA cards, so enabling it with AMD hardware (vid card not CPU) would fall into the bad category.

Has anyone using an AMD card noticed much improvement after turning Tessellation off in CCC?
Laurenn Doylee

Post » Mon May 14, 2012 10:30 pm

so after messing with the game and wasteing hours and semi play i give up tryed all tweaks configs and what not only thing this new drive dose for me is able too swich maps with out crashing wich is nice but i cant get rid of checkbord black tiles.
N3T4

Post » Mon May 14, 2012 11:23 pm

Has anyone using an AMD card noticed much improvement after turning Tessellation off in CCC?

By "off" do you mean set Tessellation to "use application settings"?

I have been using that setting consistently since Oct 3.

My experience with the Oct 3 hotfix driver was consistently excellent framerates and generally excellent appearance with high res textures, some very minor artifacting in certain locations but not really any problems with texture pop-ins

After installing the Oct 4 AMD Rage performance driver, the texture quality seemed to be reduced very very slightly, and streaming loading was very slightly improved. No difference to framerate. Also with the Oct 4 driver I had NPC flickering in Wellspring and weapon glitches in random locations.

Haven't tried the game with 11.10 driver yet.
candice keenan

Post » Mon May 14, 2012 3:15 pm

No, uncheck both of the boxes (AMD Optimized, and Use Application Settings) and then put the slider to the far Left. That is off.
JaNnatul Naimah

Post » Tue May 15, 2012 1:11 am

He means moving the slider all the way left you can see it turns tessellation off, I tried but nothing changed same problems and rage http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DirectX_11_support
J.P loves

Post » Mon May 14, 2012 9:19 pm

My bad, someone claimed that it did and I actually fell for it. He has been shamed on the Steam forum for it. Damn, with both OpenGL and DX11 using Tess. I would have thought John would have utilized it. Too bad...
Kelsey Hall

Post » Mon May 14, 2012 9:50 pm

Installed new drivers about 2 hours ago (11.10) and i have to say the game does run better.
No more crashing when loading new area etc. I did see some flickering but i can live with that.
I am really surprised that my a bit old pc can run this game so smoothly.

Q6600 @ 3~ghz
4gb ram 800mhz
amd 6870 1gb (my old 8800gt died)
tiffany Royal

Post » Mon May 14, 2012 5:53 pm

I am just wondering , Since now the ATI driver is out ( While it did make it better , its still not perfect ( Still cannot run with AI on and textures pop-ins ) But what exactly are we waiting for now? are we waiting for a patch that will fix the game or another driver?
sw1ss

Post » Mon May 14, 2012 11:14 pm

Any help for map freeze after Mutant Bash?
K J S

Post » Mon May 14, 2012 11:58 pm

Previously I mentioned I would edit my post, but I feel it better to add a new one due to any growing size in the thread.

I tested the 11.10 driver without, and then with, the configuration file I have been using. The driver was installed off a clean uninstall of all AMD related drivers and software; utilizing Driver Sweeper and several restarts to confirm the uninstall was complete. All were tested with the base configurations in Catalyst; no changes from the default settings applied after the install.

Without Configuration file: Texture pop-in was evident on the edges of the screen and during any fast spins. Loading times were significantly improved (barely enough time to read the Survival Tip) and on a particularly notorious area(tried to load in for a day straight with no success) the loading was not only successful (biggest difference obviously), but it loaded at a speed that was unimaginably fast compared to any previous loading attempts anywhere; successful or otherwise.

With Configuration file: Texture pop-in occurred only one time, during an area's 'first pass', where any movement afterward prompted no pop-in what so ever. NPCs, enemies, and weapons were not showing any artifacts (have no spider bots to test, but that will be probably the biggest change if there is one; Mutant Bash TV as well). There was some slight delay between a vehicle being destroyed and the actual animation of an explosion (small frame stall which showed the vehicle go into the 'death animation', followed by a frame of empty space, followed by the explosion effect), however, after loading into a few areas it went away immediately.

In summary, anything I had problems with seems to be alleviated, but the biggest tests will be whether I can successfully complete Mutant Bash TV, check for spider bot artifacts, and see if anything crops up as the game runs on.

I am definitely satisfied with the results and it is my hope that anyone who installs it finds the same for themselves; if not, I can only wish the best and hope you get the opportunity to play the game in a stable, or at all, manner and see what those of us whose errors have been fixed (or had none at all) have gotten to see.

SIDE NOTE: It is still worth having a configuration, for me at least, because it has prevented the game from re-texturing anything that it has already textured.
RUby DIaz

Post » Mon May 14, 2012 1:38 pm

I loaded the new driver for my ATI Radeon HD 5570. The game runs smooth ... as in no lag. However, the game looks like a collection of tiles. Everything other than the sky is black squares, random colored squares, odd textured squares. Anyone know of a fix for this?

This is not my video, but the problem I am having is the same ... found starting at the 2:30 mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocaUFAlvrfY
Tyrel

Post » Tue May 15, 2012 2:46 am

It seems like the freezing issue is almost exclusively happening with people having dual core CPUs.

Another strange thing is that when I experimented with very low res settings earlier, the game would either work halfway (with extreme texture pop-in and low FPS) or have unbearable multi-second freezes.
Quiting the game, running some other random program (even calc.exe), then restarting the game seemed to make it switch between freezing and non-freezing. So my money is on some strange scheduling bug.

System specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
ATI Radeon HD 5770 512MB
4 GB RAM
120GB OCZ Solid3 SSD
Windows 7 x64

Other weirdness:
Game uses 100% CPU, even on the static main menu
CCC claims I have 2303MB of video memory on my 512MB card (Unified memory or something?)
Je suis

Post » Mon May 14, 2012 4:30 pm

Hallelujah!!! While there are still quite a few significant issues, this driver made a HUGE difference for me. Fixed my framerate issues and lessened significantly the slow texture loading... STILL needs some work though to eliminate those textures issues as well as the npcs freaking out making crazy shapes when talking to them. This makes the game playable though and I've been able to see just gorgeous it is SUPPOSED to be. I'm impressed.... and thoroughly enjoying the game so far.

*EDIT* Forgot to mention that I removed the .cfg file and the launch options I had previously used. Working fairly well with just the driver now.
Francesca

Post » Mon May 14, 2012 5:34 pm

I loaded the new driver for my ATI Radeon HD 5570. The game runs smooth ... as in no lag. However, the game looks like a collection of tiles. Everything other than the sky is black squares, random colored squares, odd textured squares. Anyone know of a fix for this?

This is not my video, but the problem I am having is the same ... found starting at the 2:30 mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocaUFAlvrfY

Try turning on your Catalyst A.I.

(this setting: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8613775/BGS/CatalystAISetting.jpg )

That seems to be the cause of the blocky tile artifacts. uncheck the "Disable Catalyst A.I." box and try either Standard or Advanced on the slider.
..xX Vin Xx..

Post » Mon May 14, 2012 12:33 pm

Well this was a huge help! my framerates have increased significantly but i still lots of flickering coming off of npc's im sure this is the game not the drivers.
Daniel Lozano

Post » Mon May 14, 2012 7:15 pm

i tryed that and i end up with freeze stops it takes away the black tiles but ever 15sec it stoped
rae.x

Post » Tue May 15, 2012 2:12 am

i tryed that and i end up with freeze stops it takes away the black tiles but ever 15sec it stoped

I assume you are using a dual core CPU, right?

Keep Catalyst A.I. turned on, but try adjusting your Steam launch options for dual core CPU tweak as follows:

Right click on RAGE in Steam library, select properties -> launch options -> type this:

+vt_maxppf 16

if that doesn't work try

+vt_maxppf 8

or

+vt_maxppf 32

right clicking on RAGE in the Steam Library, choose Properties, and then Set Launch Options. Depending on your setup the following can boost performance and/or quality.

Another setting that will prove beneficial to gamers with 4 or less cores is to try different values for vt_maxppf. This particular setting changes how many texture pages are transcoded per frame. On systems with fewer cores reducing it from the default of 128 can greatly enhance performance and limit texture page-in artifacts. A value of 16 appears to be the best option in cases where the CPU is getting hammered because of fewer cores. The patch defaults this value based on the number of cores present but in the meantime gamers can use the following command line to see if it helps with any issues they may be seeing. (Valid settings for vt_maxppf are 8, 16, 32, 64, 128)

+vt_maxppf 16
xx_Jess_xx

Post » Tue May 15, 2012 1:00 am

Intel? Core? i5-2410M processor
8GB DDR3 memory
AMD Radeon HD 6490M (1gb non integrated)

Game is working worse then before....before it would work up until I clicked my left mouse to shoot at something, then it would crash (with update 11.9). NOW with 11.10 Prev. the game doesnt even finish loading the first room where the cryo chambers are and it crashes....ugh.
Oceavision

Post » Mon May 14, 2012 5:55 pm

Downloaded it. Seems to almost completely worked. Still have a couple npc's flickering, but 99% of them are good. I was also getting very bad weapon flicker at Mutant Bash, haven't been back there yet, so I'll see how that goes.
Bones47

Post » Tue May 15, 2012 12:08 am

drivers don't work still
1)still see little grid lines everywhere/the grid lines far off are blue/all npcs have grid lines on them down the middle of there faces and across the cheeks
2) looks like black tiles off in the distances that pop in the closer you get to them
3)the place where u fight the big mutant on the broken roadway all the building in the background are just gray with no detail
4)when the rage screen pops up that says hit enter it glitches for a sec and flashes the bethesda copyright stuff
5)and is it just me but y are the shadows a bright green color in some areas
i7 2600
sapphire radeon 6770 1g
8g ddr3 corsair
Conor Byrne

PreviousNext

Return to Othor Games